1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Kalispell, Mont.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JosephC.Myers, May 18, 2012.

1. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Another jjobs listing. I noticed how the ad mentioned it was the fourth-largest daily in Montana. Isn't that sort of considered damning with faint praise or is it just me?

SPORTS REPORTER – OPENING JUNE 11! Report on sporting events at night and play by day in the outdoor recreation wonderland of the Rocky Mountains of Northwest Montana. A perfect job in a near-perfect place. Glacier National Park, two ski areas, a million acres of wilderness and more than 100 lakes, including the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi are at your doorstep!

The Daily Inter Lake, Montana’s fourth largest daily newspaper, located in Kalispell, has an immediate opening in our three-person sports department. Our county is the size of the state of Connecticut, and we cover 10 prep schools as well as an assortment of additional sporting events. Some outdoor writing may also be available. The typical shift is Tuesday through Saturday from 4 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. but the department rotates schedules to keep the Sunday and Monday shifts filled.

Creative writing is valued, as is attention to the fundamentals of spelling and grammar. Everyone in the department contributes to page design using DTI and InDesign, and we expect our writers to be team players. Strong hiring preference will be given to writers who have page-design experience, especially DTI familiarity. In addition to the benefit of our spectacular location, we offer medical and dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, and paid vacation and sick time. Please send a cover letter, clips and design samples by e-mail to Managing Editor Frank Miele at edit@dailyinterlake.com or apply online at journalismjobs.com.

The top candidates will be contacted for further discussion, and finalists will need to have a clean driving record and pass a post offer, pre-employment drug screen.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It is bigger than the Hungry Horse News, so there's that.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I better not say too much about this, but take the "preference for those with DTI familiarity" as a red flag.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Small town, resort area, plenty of rural circulation to inflate the numbers.

Coverage is mostly high school, with a little bit of rodeo mixed in. Too far to travel to anything else.

5. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

Auto racing as well. If anyone cares.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

There are definitely worse places to live.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They milk that for all they can. Decent place to live, a little pricey being a resort area. And the pay won't come close to making up for it.

Understandably, they do have a fair amount of turnover.

8. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Rugby tournament in town is highlight of the year.

9. Old Dusty Trail

Old Dusty Trail New Member

Home of Denver Broncos quarterback Brock Osweiler.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So I guess you'll be required to write crappy features on him, right?

11. JPsT

JPsT Member

If only there was something unique or interesting about, say, his stature that could be a peg for said feature.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

one of the prettiest places on the planet ... that's all i have.

Draft saved Draft deleted