1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter job in Galesburg, IL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Feb 3, 2012.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

...from jj.com
    Company: The Register-Mail
    Position: Sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: March 9, 2012
    Job ID: 1318294

Description:
    Help shape a progressive sports department. The Register-Mail, an 11,000 circulation daily (seven days) newspaper in Galesburg, Ill., has an immediate opening for a sports reporter. Job duties include a variety of sports reporting from games to features. Enthusiasm and energy are a must. Priority will be given to regional candidates. The Register-Mail ranks among the best small daily newspapers in Illinois each year in the Illinois Associated Press contest. We'll move quickly to fill this position.

Send resume and work samples: The Register-Mail Attention: Mike Trueblood, sports editor 140 S. Prairie St., Galesburg, IL 61401, or e-mail to: mtrueblood@register-mail.com. For more information, call 309-343-7181, ext. 255

2. Scouter

Scouter Member

I'm the guy on the way out. PM me if you have any questions.

3. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I've heard the outgoing reporter is doing the smart thing and getting out of the biz. GateHouse is an atrocious company to work for. In the Midwest, they are consolidating copy desks to a single hub in Chicago, putting local editors and designers out on the street. The Springfield paper is currently being gutted. I think when GateHouse bought the Register-Mail the stock was trading at $40 a share or something akin to that. Now it's worth less than 5 cents. Those numbers might be a little off, but it was a plunge of epic proportions. Beware.

4. dob23

dob23 New Member

Not going to argue with PTOWN's opinion of GateHouse.

There are good people at this paper. It's where I got my start, so I may be a bit biased.

Job is preps-centric, mainly Galesburg High School, which plays in a good conference. Galesburg is located between Peoria and the Quad Cities. Chicago's about three hours away. Not exactly Forgottonia.

I'm sure you could find worse places to make a living.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Living in the area and recently working for a Gatehouse paper, I have a little bit of an opinion.

dob23's right, it's a good paper for it's size and has some nice people working there.

Gatehouse is ... well, a newspaper company in 2012. So yeah, everything PTOWN said is true and then some.

But if you want to break into this business in 2012, you are going to be working for a company with a rocky financial future and you are probably going to be paying your dues covering preps, and this is as nice a place to do it as any.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll third this opinion. The Silver Streaks do play in a great conference, especially for basketball (both genders). And just wondering ... do TWO radio stations still cover all the Galesburg games?

Oh, and it would help if you like trains ... :)

7. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

My wife's family lives in that area. It can be pretty picturesque once you get out of town.

Galesburg is a pretty typical Midwestern town. All the industry left a long time ago and half of the city seems abandoned. Not a terrible area, just kind of gray and depressing.

If you don't mind a little bit of a commute there are very cool rural towns to live in within a 15-20 drive. Bunch of small farming communities mostly, beautiful in that rolling hills and amber waves of grain (well, corn) kind of way.

It gets colder than the 9th circle of hell here, just so you know.

8. Scouter

Scouter Member

This has been filled by someone who recently came aboard as a part-timer.

As others mentioned, Galesburg has its pros and cons. I met my wife, who's from the area, after I moved here so I've been conditioned to put up with the cons.

Coco, yes, two stations still cover all the Streaks' boys and girls games. It becomes a major pain in the ass to wait on deadline for each of them while they interview the coach. The trains are still non-stop, but they recently started construction of an overpass on one of the Main Street crossings and an underpass for the other crossing is on the way. That'll at least make it bearable to drive from one end of town to the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted