1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Jeffersonville, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Evening News, a six-day-a-week newspaper in Southern Indiana seeks a sports reporter to cover an area passionate about high school sports. The candidate would join a four-person sports staff, covering primarily Clark County, across the river from Louisville, Ky.

The beat consists of coverage of nine high schools in the county alone. The Evening News shares coverage with its sister paper, The Tribune, in New Albany. There also are opportunities to cover major sporting events, such as The Kentucky Derby, college athletics and pro sports, such as The Ryder Cup, which came in 2008 to Louisville.

However, the focus remains on local sports, and the candidate should be excited about the high school and youth beats, including coverage of sports outside of basketball, baseball and football.

E-mail a resume and several writing samples/clips to Sports Editor Mike Hutsell at mike.hutsell@newsandtribune.com, or mail them to 221 Spring St., Jeffersonville, IN, 47130.

2. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Stayed in the dirtiest, nastiest Super 8 Motel in lodging history in Jeffersonville this summer. That's all I got.

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

From what I've heard about Super 8, that's saying something.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Jeffersonville has incredible high school basketball. Good sports in the area as a whole, not sure how far out the coverage area goes though.

The town is pretty crappy as a whole, but at least you're across the river from Louisville, if that appeals to you.

Don't know a whole lot about the paper though.

5. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I lived on that side of the river for a while, and while it wasn't the best place I ever lived in Kentucky or Indiana, it was far from the worst. And you've got everything that you can possibly do minutes away from you when you cross the river into Louisville. I don't know the paper very well, but the area itself is a good place to live.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My first job ... and I have a ton of affinity for that place.

I loved my time there. I lived in Louisville and commuted across the river, no more than a 10-minute drive, presuming no one wrecked on the I-65 or Clark Bridge.

Night life is great and even better than it was when I lived there, considering that they've since developed the downtown area. Louisville is a unique, fascinating place to live.

Jeff and New Albany nightlife is unique in its own way too. Both were once wide-open river towns and there's aspects of that not too far under the surface. For example, be ready to be asked what the spread is on the Jeff-Silver Creek game ... it floored me that anyone took action on HS hoops, or, would want to.

Sports in the circulation area are pretty good -- football not so much, basketball and baseball can both be excellent -- and the fans there absolutely eat it up ... perhaps more so than any one place I've ever worked at since.

You have competition from the Courier-Journal (Pat Forde's first C-J role was covering Southern Indiana) and the idea is to kick their butts on the north side of the river.

It's CNHI, but understand one thing about a chain that is fairly and occasionally unfairly maligned ... the papers in its chain are as good to work for as their publisher makes it.

Sometimes I see people rag on a chain when they should be ragging on their publisher for interpreting a chain's instructions in a way that fuck's the employees over to make them look good for corporate. That's not just CNHI, I think that's true for any chain.

Anyhow, virtually no one is left from when I worked there, at least no one in a management position (though I do know Hutsell, who's a good guy), so I can't speak for how good of a place it is to work right now, but I loved it there.

Great place for a first job.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent call on the publisher's angle Bubbler.

Draft saved Draft deleted