1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter -- Jasper, AL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by young-gun11, Jun 15, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

When they say locally focused, they mean it. AP stories from Alabama/Auburn and your Friday nights are packed with 12 teams. A fairly late deadline helps since the press is on site. Worked here for a time. A good place with good people. Not sure what's happening with the department, though. Could be adding a third member. One could be leaving all-together. One could be moving back to the news side. I just don't know the details.

If you want any details about the area/paper, PM me.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Jasper's not a terrible town. Smith Lake to the north, Birmingham less than an hour south, Huntsville an hour and a half north. Not too terribly much to do in town, but there are certainly worse places.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In Alabama, the numbers on a standard license plate begin with a one or two digit code as a county identifier.
    Walker County's 64 is not just to tell you where the car is from, it's an IQ plate for the driver.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

On the other hand, if you need to take out a hit on someone, you can buy direct from the factory and save. It's like the Dalton of murder for hire.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In the interest of being useful, I should point out that people have worked their way up from here to bigger things, most notably Josh Bean, who covers Auburn for the Newhouse unholy trinity. And Jasper is a lot less isolated now that the new interstate is open from suburban Memphis to Birmingham.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Hey, at least it's a daily. Which is more than you can say for the rest of 'em.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Josh doesn't cover Auburn. He's the prep guy in Mobile.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Greentop BBQ is good stuff around there and also The Booby Trap strip club.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Green Top's gone down hill. Ten years ago, it was real good. Now it's OK and kind of over priced.
    I can say I've lived 10 miles from Wesley's since I moved here and never wanted to go in. It's the kind of place, I'm told where if a girls asks you if you want a dance and you say no, her boyfriend will kick your ass because you think she's ugly. If you say yes, he'll kick your ass for trying to hit on her.
    Perico's in Jasper is, however, one of the best Mexican restaurants I've been to.

10. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Slappy's on the money with Green Top. Couldn't be worse. After 25 years of refusing to go in Wesley's...I went. Freakin' hilarious. Everyone in there knows its a novelty and doesn't go in expecting Showgirls. It's really not as bad as Slappy says, though. There are no more fights there than at any other redneck bar in the area. (Have you been to Sayre B&G, slappy? Eek!)

11. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

BTW this job is no longer open. The other sports guy tended his resignation and then rescinded.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Now that the job is no longer on the table, I feel safe in making this point: I would be really wary about a strip club with the word "trap" in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted