1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter in Rawlins, Wyo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Via JournalismJobs.com

Company: The Rawlins Daily Times
    Position: Sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    August 7, 2007
    Job ID: 797755

Description:
    Are you looking for that sports writing job that lets you write a bit of everything, design some pages, maybe shoot a few photos and learn a heck of a lot? If so, we're looking for you. The Rawlins Daily Times has an opening for a sports writer. You'll cover local high schools, outdoor sports activities and maybe jaunt to nearby Laramie for a D1 University of Wyoming game from time to time. We're a growing, 5-day-a-week, morning paper. The newsroom is changing and expanding. There are few better opportunities to learn the news business than we offer. We're within an hour's drive of a national forest, several mountain ranges, a desert and great fishing. Full medical benefits, a 401k plan and profit sharing are part of our employee package. To apply, send a cover letter that tells us why you're the person to join our staff, a resume and clips to Shelley Ridenour, publisher, The Rawlins Daily Times, P.O. Box 370, Rawlins, WY 82301. No e-mail applications, please.

Anyone work in Rawlins? I have passed through it and seems nice enough despite being 4 hours from SLC and about 3 from Denver. Cost of living is low.

2. JB20

JB20 Member

hell hole

3. azom

azom Member

I'll speak up for this paper. I've worked with Shelley (in fact, she's coming to my wedding) and she knows what it takes to run a small community paper. And she'll be open to pretty much any idea for stories you pitch her way. It's the type of job where you can get good stories if you dig hard enough.

Unfortunately, Rawlins itself isn't much of a town.

4. As a town, Rawlins is awful. Absolutely awful. And it's the biggest town for 100 miles in any direction.

That having been said, the paper isn't that bad, or at least it wasn't under former publisher Dave Perry (who is no longer there). There's an opportunity here for someone to come in, work hard, and move on to a bigger paper in a year or two.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Hole de la Hell.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Best thing about the town of Rawlins -- I-80 lead you away from it.

Draft saved Draft deleted