1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter in NW Montana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by I Should Coco, May 18, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

From Journalism Jobs.com ...

SPORTS REPORTER – IMMEDIATE AVAILABILITY! Report on sporting events at night and play by day in the outdoor recreation wonderland of the Rocky Mountains of Northwest Montana. A perfect job in a near-perfect place. Glacier National Park, two ski areas, a million acres of wilderness and more than 100 lakes, including the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi are at your doorstep!

The Daily Inter Lake, Montana’s fourth largest daily newspaper, located in Kalispell, has an immediate opening in our three-person sports department. Our county is the size of the state of Connecticut, and we cover 10 prep schools as well as an assortment of additional sporting events. Some outdoor writing may also be available. The typical shift is Tuesday through Saturday from 4 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. but the department rotates schedules to keep the Sunday and Monday shifts filled.

Creative writing is valued, as is attention to the fundamentals of spelling and grammar. Everyone in the department contributes to page design using DTI and InDesign, and we expect our writers to be team players. Strong hiring preference will be given to writers who have page-design experience, especially DTI familiarity. In addition to the benefit of our spectacular location, we offer medical and dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, and paid vacation and sick time. Please send clips and cover letters by e-mail to Managing Editor Frank Miele at edit@dailyinterlake.com or apply online at journalismjobs.com.

The top candidates will be contacted for further discussion, and finalists will need to have a clean driving record and pass a post offer, pre-employment drug screen.

Link: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=970142

Great area of the country — especially if you love the outdoors. But as they say, you can't eat the scenery. Pretty expensive area to live.

This paper is part of the Hagadone newspaper chain.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can't eat scenery, as an editor of one of the Hagadone papers told me once.

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Nice teamwork, fellas.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Know a couple of guys from there. Good guys to work with, but not much to coverage beyond high schools, little league. They are getting a Tier III junior hockey team next season.

Pretty much an entry-level/early career job. Could do worse for a couple of years.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Hey, gotta pay for the owner's multi-million-dollar yacht that he and the wifey tool around the Med in during the summer somehow ... :)

6. dm19

dm19 Member

Beautiful area. Montana high school football is pretty underrated. I know this paper a little bit but I don't know the people. I would think it would be a nice place for someone to try and start.

7. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

The newspaper is a decent publication, and I know the guy who's leaving. A slight touch of burnout, but because he tried to do too way too much (if that makes sense, which, knowing me, it doesn't). He'll be freelancing for the paper until December until he figures out his next step in life. The staff there is pretty good to get along with, and the three newspapers in the area (Kalispell Daily Interlake, Kalispell Flathead Beacon and Hungry Horse News in Columbia Falls) all co-exist peacefully (if that's the environment you want to go into). As has been mentioned, gorgeous country by Flathead Lake.

8. djtabish

djtabish New Member

Gidal, Not sure where to begin but from the start — Not burned out, didn't try to do way too much, won't be freelancing for the paper until December, my next step in life will be with my right foot because I lead predominantly with my right side, there are actually six newspapers within 30 minutes of Kalispell not three, the staff here is awesome, the people co-exist here the same way they do everywhere.

But yeah other than that you're totally accurate, Flathead Lake is beautiful.

For the record, how did you get all that from this?!?! (insert journalist face with question marks over head here)

Gidal: @djtabish Who's leaving the great land of Kalispell? It isn't you, is it?
    Dillon: @gidalkaiser: Alas, it is me departing. Gave my notice recently and will be leaving with the track season (May 28). Keep up the good fight.
    Gidal: @djtabish What are you moving on to?
    Dillon: @gidalkaiser: Haven't figured that part out yet. Planned as far ahead as May 30 (@OtherLives concert in Missoula!) After that .........
    Dillon @gidalkaiser: Some freelance writing is going to keep the ship asail though. Then maybe see if NASA needs any test dummies
    Gidal: @djtabish Was it just burnout or a need to try something new? I'm fascinated by it, if only because you're hella good
    Dillon: @gidalkaiser: Thanks. I learned and grew more in the roughly 3 yrs at the Inter Lake than I could've imagined. Time to explore a new trail

Yikes. Somewhere Bob Woodward is snoring but crying in his sleep at the same time.
    --- Dillon Tabish

9. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Dillon,

You are 100 percent correct. I should not have shot my mouth off and claimed things that were untrue. You have my sincerest apologies.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Well, since some of the NASA contract folks got their notices last week, I don't think they're needing any test dummies. :)

11. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

This Gidal character sounds like a hell of a reporter. Yikes.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, met him a few times. Bark is worse than his bite. Not really a bad guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted