1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter in Bend, Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jackson Sundown, Aug 13, 2010.

1. From Journalismjobs.com:

Company: The Bulletin
    Position: Sports Reporter
    Job Status:Full-time
    Salary:Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 15, 2010
    Job ID: 1192428

Description:
    The Bulletin, a growing 34,000 circulation daily newspaper in Central Oregon, is looking for a resourceful, enthusiastic and imaginative reporter to serve as Community Sports coordinator, covering the wide range of sports for which the region is famous. The successful candidate will become part of The Bulletin's sports staff, which covers everything from traditional sports to the offbeat and extreme, with particular emphasis on participation sports.

A college degree is required. Reporting experience is preferred; polished writing skills and a track record of accuracy and reliability are a must.

The Bulletin is a privately held newspaper with a reputation for quality community journalism. Bend, population 82,000, offers a resort-town lifestyle, big-city amenities and incredible outdoor recreation opportunities.

For job specific questions, contact sports editor Bill Bigelow at: bbigelow@bendbulletin.com

To apply, please mail cover letter, resume and writing samples to:

Marielle Gallagher, newsroom administrator The Bulletin P.O. Box 6020 Bend, OR 97701

Or email to: mgallagher@bendbulletin.com

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Good paper...good people...good location. Sounds like the perfect fit, especially if you enjoy outdoor activities...hiking, climbing, fishing, rafting, etc. Away from Portland quite a bit, but still one of Oregon's nicer spots.

3. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

Any idea what the cost of living is like in Bend? This looks like a neat opportunity.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you have to ask, it's too much. :)

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Seems a little ridiculous to me that a 34K-circ would demand a journalism degree for a community sports writer gig that probably pays low-20s (or whatever c.o.l-equivalent). To each his own, but still ...

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It just says college degree, not journalism degree. If you got your associate's degree at the community college give it a shot.

7. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Not that long ago I would have been all over this. Coolest town in the state (though its probably debatable) with awesome access to the outdoors. Weather is great year round (assuming you like winter weather). However, this was a major boom town until the recession, which was chronicled very well by the New York Times last year: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/us/18oregon.html

Cost of living remains high, but it's a great, great town. Portland's only about 3 1/2 hours away if you need to get in there.

Don't know anybody at the paper anymore, but it has always ranked in my estimation as the second or third best newspaper in the state.

8. Charlie_Hustle

Charlie_Hustle New Member

Any movement on this one yet? It looks like they've got a number of newsroom openings right now, as Harley pointed out on their copy editor thread.

Anybody know why there's so much turnover in the newsroom there all at once?

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Filled

10. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Not to be a dick, but have you spent the entire day calling every sports department in the country to ask about the status of their job postings?

11. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I applied to them and figured I should double-check the status of my application. Once I found out, I figured other people would like to know.

12. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Fair enough. Just seemed odd that you were dredging up so many old threads all at once. Sorry you didn't land any of them. Best of luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted