1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Hudson/Catskill Region, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

I'm about to graduate over the summer with a degree in journalism and I'm really curious if anyone knows or has insight into this job opening.

Company: Hudson-Catskill Newspaper Corp.
    Position:
    News and sports reporters wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    May 14, 2013
    Job ID: 1484061

Description:

Hudson-Catskill Newspapers Corp. has immediate openings for both news and sports reporters.

The Daily Mail and Register-Star are both 5-day print, 7-day online a.m. daily papers located in charming bucolic counties two hours north of New York City and less than an hour from Albany and Kingston.

The Daily Mail in Greene County and the Register-Star in Columbia County are in need of two full-time crime and court reporters. The reporters will also cover meetings of local school and town boards. Additional duties will include covering community activities, assignments from the editor and breaking stories involving police, fire and rescue services. The reporters will also be asked to develop beat-related features and handle additional general assignment tasks.

Excellent benefit package includes health, dental and vacation. Send resumes, at least three writing samples and salary requirements to: Theresa E. Hyland, Executive Editor, 1 Hudson City Centre, Suite 202, Hudson, NY 12534 or e-mail to thyland@registerstar.com. No phone calls please.

The sports department of Hudson-Catskill Newspapers is currently seeking a full-time reporter to cover sporting events in Columbia and Greene counties for both the Register-Star and The Daily Mail.

The reporter will mainly be responsible for providing coverage of local high school teams during the regular and postseason, along with covering various league sports during the offseason.

Responsibilities include reporting and photographing day-to-day sporting events, developing feature stories and page layout, among other duties.

Applicants should send at least three writing samples along with a cover letter, resume and salary requirements, to Michael LaBuff, sports editor, P.O. Box 484, Catskill NY 12414 or mlabuff@thedailymail.net. No phone calls please.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, if you're hired don't leave off your byline:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3481155/

And this got me curious, wondering if there had been any resolution to the issue. Turns out, there was one resolution. The publisher died right after:

http://www.registerstar.com/news/article_e39d2886-5398-11e2-8271-001a4bcf887a.html

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Zads,

While I cannot give any specific insight into that particular paper or company, the ad sounds pretty standard and not too bad for an entry-level gig. If you've got some clips from either a college paper or internship and like the area, go ahead and apply. (Hell, the worst they can do is say no.)

Now, understand that you probably won't get rich there and no one expects you to stay there for decades. But it seems a reasonable place to cover some events --- sports or news --- build a clip file, make some contacts and learn a lot of stuff. It sounds like you could get experience in a number of areas --- writing, editing, page design, photography, etc. --- and that's increasingly important in this era of downsizing and multitasking.

Good luck to you should you decide to apply.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

All four journalists are working at other newspapers.

And there's this: http://www.sampratt.com/sam/2013/04/an-unexpected-apology-from-the-register-star.html

5. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the insight. I had no idea about the byline thing, good thing it's taken care of and gone now.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just curious. Where are they working at now?

Draft saved Draft deleted