1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Howell, Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mustangj17, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Not a bad place to work, unless you hate Central Michigan football ;D . 6-day a week paper, doesn't publish on Saturday's which opens up some time on the weekends.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?job_did=J8A6606SXXN5DRKS8XG

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

How many in the sports department?

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Looking at the staff list, there appears to be three (two reporters and an editor).

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The SE is good people. We worked together and a previous stop and got along great. I have nothing but great things to say about him.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

This is pretty close to my current residence. Maybe a diamond in the rough that is Michigan...

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

This is a great local paper that, last I heard, has withstood the Gannett fire for the most part.

Good people, too.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Operated by The Free Press so they arent technically part of the Gannett Community Publishing division. Helps sneak by the cuts a lot.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I applied but haven't heard anything. Has anyone else heard back from anyone at this publication?

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Probably too soon to have heard something back.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yep, it's only been two weeks since the job was posted on the linked site.

And it's the changeover in high school seasons (although the paper does have a couple teams making postseason runs).

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They have a couple good folks on staff. There are far worse places to work.

12. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Very reassuring.

Draft saved Draft deleted