1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Goldsboro, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    Company: The Goldsboro News-Argus
    Position:
    Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    April 9, 2014
    Job ID: 1525904

Description:

The Goldsboro News-Argus is looking for a sportswriter with an interest in not just sports, but in quality sports journalism. The successful candidate will be a go-getter who is eager to learn and to grow as a writer — and who is willing to put in the work to achieve that goal. Our sports team is also active in our design and online products and will contribute to their development. Have ideas, a can-do attitude and drive? You might just be the right fit. Experience preferred, but we might be interested in a promising rookie if he or she has the right stuff. Send your resume, a cover letter and a talent-revealing clip to SPORTS REPORTER, P.O. Box 10629, Goldsboro, N.C. 27532 or submit your application online to rcoggins@newsargus.com. MAKE SURE WE CAN OPEN YOUR ATTACHMENTS. Salary will reflect how impressed we are with your potential to contribute to our newspaper.

2. irnsdn

irnsdn New Member

Does anyone know anything about this paper or job?

3. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

This seems to be a repeat of an opening that was there in the fall. I've had a phone interview with this sports editor before. He's very kind, upbeat, and ambitious.

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Lived in a town near Goldsboro. It can be a downtrodden area like any other, but I personally love Eastern North Carolina an awful lot to look way beyond any flaws. Have had run-ins with either a current or former writer there (I don't know where he is now) and the guy was easily the biggest homer I have ever come in contact with. Guy would vocally root for the "home team" to the point of egging on the announcer to call out the baseball coach from my coverage area that he will "get what's coming to him" for the site of the American Legion playoff series being changed.

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

If you feel you have or will have other options, I would suggest you pursue those options.

Years ago, when I was a fresh grad and in need of a job, Rudy told me during a phone interview my clips were the only ones that made him feel like picking up the phone. I drove several hours to interview. I arrived 15 minutes early and sat in the lobby. Rudy walked out with someone else, acknowledged me and said he was on the way to lunch and would be back in a while. I waited in the lobby until he was done eating, well after our appointed time.

During the interview, he asked how I felt about cheering for the teams I cover. I said I did not think there was a place for it. He said he sometimes couldn't help himself.

Drove home and never received another call or email from Rudy.

6. dpilar05

dpilar05 New Member

Sounds like this guy is the opposite of "quality jounalism".

7. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

Yeah, maybe I should retract my praise. A good phone conversationalist does not a journalist make. I can't speak to anything beyond that.

8. JordanA

JordanA Member

I'm a Goldsboro native, and proud to call it home. As mentioned earlier, it's far from a sparkling metropolis, but it's a charming little place that lets you meet some cool people, thanks to its status as a military town.

As for the News-Argus, I interviewed there late last year and was offered a job, but I didn't exactly come away impressed and turned it down. For the sake of not airing dirty laundry and totally downing the place openly here, anyone who has any questions about it can shoot me a PM.

9. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Are you supposed to hack their email to check on this?

10. bmereness

bmereness Member

There are multiple ways to ensure the high probability of people being able to open you attachments.

1) save down to earlier versions
    2) save as pdfs that can be viewed by almost all devices
    3) e-mail to yourself and open from as many options as you can, home, work, library, neighbor's, grandma's... and so on.

11. TWilliams161

TWilliams161 New Member

Is this the paper that prints at noon each day?

12. bluedevil83

bluedevil83 New Member

I have spent time at this paper. PM me for more information.

Draft saved Draft deleted