1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Glenwood Springs, CO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter Needed in Colorado Mountain Destination

Description:
    Cover sports indoors and out in a Rocky Mountain paradise

If you’re as passionate about sports outside as you are courtside, we have the dream job for you.

From Friday night lights to rafting down the Colorado River on New Year’s day, the Glenwood Springs Post Independent seeks a journalist interested in everything from ice climbing to high school athletics. With a half-dozen high schools in our coverage area, we’ve got a slew of prep sports to write about. You can read some of the highlights from the past year here.Opens in New Window

We’ve also got some of the nation’s greatest great outdoors. Given our cozy spot at the confluence of the Roaring Fork and Colorado River valleys, we’ve got snow sports, climbing, paragliding, angling and everything else you can do under the sun. It’s also an opportunity for enterprise reporting that resonates well beyond our slice of paradise. With both winter and summertime tourism, the effects of people on our environment – and how we can enjoy where we live sustainably – is a critical issue.

Candidates with prior daily reporting experience are preferred but recent college graduates with quality published clips are also encouraged to apply. Successful candidates will be highly organized and natural collaborators with a drive to connect readers with content through the platforms they use.

To apply: Please visit www.swftcom.com/careers and select job 1849.

Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):

• Shooting photo and video.
    • Effective use of digital platforms to source stories and drive traffic to our website and print products.
    • Work well with community leaders/figures as well as other newsroom staff. Reporter must be flexible in a changing, fast-paced environment.
    • Ensure accuracy, fairness and correct spelling in all reporting and editing duties.
    • Follow direction and vision of the editor.
    • Make assigned deadlines without exception.
    • Fill in for reporting vacancies as needed.
    • Be ethical within the guidelines set by the editor.
    • Be a team player and help where needed.
    Qualifications:

• Journalism degree or degree in related field.
    • Must be available to work some nights and weekends.
    • Familiarity with Microsoft Office.
    • Digital photography experience preferred.
    • Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
    • Must have a current driver’s license or the ability to get one.

Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Don't know a lot about this shop, but, sadly, I know a lot about the area. It's gorgeous and you're about an hour from Aspen and less than three from Denver. It's a bit rural.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My brother went to junior college there. He is/was an outdoors-oriented, skiing type of guy. He liked it there. Glenwood is at 5,700 feet, which is 2,300 lower than Aspen, which is at the south end of the valley Gleenwood lies in. So it was warmer than one might expect in the winter. While it is certainly cheaper than Aspen I don't know how expensive it is.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

COL in Garfield County certainly is lower than in Pitkin County where Aspen is. TONS of outdoors stuff to do. Glenwood sits right on the Colorado River and you're not far from the Flat Tops.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Swift is a decent-to-good company. I'd call that a plus in this world.

Glenwood Springs is not as isolated as some other similar popular areas, which is to say there's a Target AND a Walmart in Glenwood. Silly, but that can seem like a lot when living in these towns. It's 1:20 to Grand Junction, which is a real-ish city, and, yeah, 3 hours to Denver.

I'd guesstimate that this job covers 3-4 high schools, with some pretty strong teams in there. After that, it's as much outdoors content as you can come up with. You won't have a ton of snow sports like sister papers in Vail, Summit County, Aspen or Steamboat, but there's still some of that, and, yeah, no shortage of hiking, fishing, biking and other outdoor activities. That element of the job is what you make of it, and the more you do make of it, probably the better for you and readers.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't classify Swift as such. That's quite a stretch. Sorry.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

To each his own. I can only speak to my experience, which was pretty good.

Draft saved Draft deleted