1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter -- Gazette / Star (Laurel, Md.,),

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Dec 9, 2010.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1218670

The Gazette, publisher of community weekly newspapers and daily websites in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, D.C., seeks a web-savvy sports reporter for its Laurel, Md., office.

The reporter will provide coverage in Prince George’s County, where there are nearly 30 high schools. The Gazette newspapers are weekly, but reporters write daily stories for our website (www.gazette.net/pgsports).

Candidate must have experience writing game stories, previews, features and enterprise stories under tight deadlines. Our reporters demonstrate vision and understanding of sporting news and trends and suggest story ideas and multimedia packages.

Night and weekend work required, and candidate must have own transportation.

Please send cover letter, resume and writing samples to Sports Editor Seth Elkin, The Gazette, 13501 Virginia Manor Road, Laurel, MD 20707; by fax to 240-473-7501; or e-mail, selkin@gazette.net. No phone calls, please.

The Gazette offers a competitive package of benefits, including health and dental insurance, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement and a 401(k) plan.

EOE.

2. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

I had the chance to do some freelance work for Seth in the fall. He's really on top of stuff and busts his tail, and he's a patient editor to boot.

It's a great place for someone with a little experience who wants to be close to a big city.

3. approachin40

approachin40 New Member

Went for a job interview in September 2008 for the same position. Was excited since my best friend was in nearby Baltimore. But after making the arrangements to fly up there from the South, good ol' Seth hits me with "Well, we want to stay local with this position." That was just absolutely f**kin' embarrassing. I killed the interview that morning when I was there, but as expected, he didn't hire me.

So the lesson to be learned here is -- BE LOCAL IN THAT AREA!!! YOU WILL NOT BE LOOKED AT FROM BEYOND THE MARYLAND/VIRGINIA AREA.

Draft saved Draft deleted