1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Gastonia, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by FusilliJerry, May 29, 2014.

1. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

From JournalismJobs.com.

The Shelby (NC) Star, a Halifax Media group newspaper, seeks a talented sports reporter. We are looking for someone with an interest in covering local sports – from the youth baseball fields to the college football sidelines. The job also requires two shifts per week on the copy desk at our sister paper, the Gaston Gazette in Gastonia, N.C. It is the ideal position for an applicant interested in being a well-rounded journalist as there is a lot of opportunity to be creative with reporting and page design. Send your resume and five examples of your work to gwhisnant@gastongazette.com.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Interviewed here a lifetime ago. Seemed like good folk, and it looked like it was happening until it fell through thanks to the domino effect of layoffs higher up the chain. They used to acknowledge Gardner-Webb, but not sure if they do anymore.

A surprisingly stout list of famous people came from Shelby, among them Bobby Thompson, Floyd Patterson, Patty Loveless and Alvin Gentry. It has your typical quaint North Carolina uptown.

Go to Joe's Place and get something that comes with tiger sauce (or get a side of tiger sauce with whatever you end up getting). You'll be glad you did.

3. slc10

slc10 Member

I know where Shelby is. I used to live on Lake Wylie (decades ago) on the York/Mecklenburg side. Have to think about this one.

4. JohnScratch

JohnScratch New Member

Any update on this opening?

5. StatmanZ

StatmanZ New Member

Yeah, I wonder if there's been any updates...I applied at the beginning of June and had a phone interview with Mr. Whisnant a couple of days later for about 25-30 minutes and he was suppose to get back in touch with me about coming in for an interview but that was about 3 weeks ago so take that for what it's worth.

6. JohnScratch

JohnScratch New Member

Just received word from the Star's SE that the search is over. Congrats to whoever got it.

Draft saved Draft deleted