1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter (Galesburg, Ill.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=954439

Help shape a progressive sports department. The Register-Mail, a 14,000 circulation daily newspaper in Galesburg, IL, has an immediate opening for a sports reporter. Job duties include a variety of sports reporting from gamers to features. Design skills a plus. Enthusiasm and energy are a must. The Register-Mail was named best small daily in Illinois by the Associated Press in 2007.

Send resume and work samples: The Register-Mail Attention: Mike Trueblood, sports editor 140 S. Prairie St., Galesburg, IL 61401, or e-mail to: mtrueblood@register-mail.com. For more information, call 309-343-7181, ext. 255

Division III Knox College is right in town, so maybe some NCAA opportunities for coverage there.

2. jayhawk08

jayhawk08 New Member

I know they cover about 12 high schools, plus Knox College is nearby. It's roughly 45 miles west of Peoria.

3. billikens

billikens Member

By far the hottest girl I ever dated (other than my much hotter fiance) hailed from Galesburg.

That's pretty much all I know about it, so hopefully that helps.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The wife of one of the funniest guys I've ever known is from Galesburg.

Many fun nights in Iowa City with him.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Jim Sundberg?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

His name was Phil. With the other two guys, we had some great card games.

7. Scouter

Scouter Member

Yes, Galesburg is the hometown of Jim Sundberg. The high school baseball field is named after him.

8. tmurray2

tmurray2 New Member

Anyone know how much this might pay? Around $20-22,000?

9. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Hopefully it pays better than the other Illinois paper posted here about a month ago ($15k)

10. USW

USW New Member

Yes Knox College is there. Monmouth College is just down the road and they have a better sports program. But don't expect to spend much time on either D-III school.

They do cover about 12 high schools. It used to be closer to 18 but school district mergers and sports co-ops have cut down the number of teams that are out there.

The Sandburg Community College girls' basketball team makes the national tournament pretty regularly. The Legion Post gets good coverage and so does the Galesburg girls' basketball team.

Pay won't be great, but cost of living is next to nothing. PM me for more details.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

So we know this place has produced at least one hot chick and another who digs dudes with a sense of humor. Anyone else?

12. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

The major employer in town was once the Maytag plant. It closed down about five years ago to move jobs to Mexico or something. So Galesburg would also make an excellent setting for a Bruce Springsteen song.

Draft saved Draft deleted