1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Frederick, MD

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1534928

Company: The Frederick News-Post
    Position:
    Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    November 15, 2013
    Job ID: 1534928

Description:

Are you passionate about covering high school sports and enjoy engaging with the local community? The Frederick News-Post, an award-winning, morning daily newspaper in western Maryland, is seeking such a person for a full-time sports writer position for its sports department. This position is based in Frederick, MD, about an hour outside of Washington, D.C.

This person will be responsible for covering youth, high school and professional sports. Must also be able to paginate pages as well as edit copy, write headlines, and proof pages. Must possess online and social media skills to include writing brief dayparts, tweeting, posting stories, videos and photos to the website and sending out e-alerts.
    We’re looking for an individual who is a team player, has a positive attitude and can work with a collaborative spirit with others under daily deadline pressures. A Bachelors degree, preferably in Journalism, English, or related program, is required. Experience with QuarkExpress or InDesign is preferred. Must possess a valid Maryland operator’s license and furnish current driving record with no more than two points for a period of two years and a reasonably acceptable driving history with no suspensions.

This is a nighttime shift from 3 p.m. to midnight, Monday-Friday, but must have the ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays. Send resume, work samples and salary requirement to: jobs@newspost.com (with sports reporter in the subject line).

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Family-owned newspaper. Beautiful building opened in the last decade or so. Awesome town. Expensive to live there on a community journalist's salary but surrounding areas are more affordable.

I don't have any insider information on this one, but I would assume it is basically going to be a prep sports gig. That's their bread and butter.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Went to Frederick a couple years ago because a friend was brunching at Volt. OK, I thought, whatever. I really was impressed with the downtown. You're not horribly far from DC (MARC ride or just drive into Germantown and get the Metro) but far enough removed where you're not subsumed by it. If I were 10 years younger, I'd totally be all over this.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Frederick...... The Frederick News-Post.....Do your homework on the paper and the area...Good Luck to those who apply..

5. CashOwner

CashOwner New Member

Drip, that is a cryptic, general bit of advice. Care to elaborate?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

There's nothing to elaborate on newbie. If you're interested in the job, go for it and good luck. Just do your homework about the paper and the area. That advice goes for any open job out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted