1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Fort Walton Beach

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by blacktitleist, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know more than most slap but this isn't about me so back off. The facts are what they are, the place does have a lot of turnover. It's not a condemnation of the place.

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I know a couple of the guys who recently worked for this paper, and I echo that Pruiett is good people. I don't have much first-hand knowledge, other than reading their work online. But I can say that I've worked with people from this paper, and they do solid work. There's also some very good high school sports to cover. Niceville nearly won the football state title this year and has a great overall program. Fort Walton Beach is also good overall. Crestview, Choctawhatchee and Walton all compete well too.

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Adam Pruiett is indeed good people. So is the paper's editor, Colin Lipnicky. Within the past five years, sports staffers have gone on directly to Mobile, Macon and Florida Today. There are also a couple of DN sports alums in Gainesville. The downside? It is a Freedom outfit, and the paper has become more dependent on its sister operation in Panama City, even though the DN's circulation is slightly larger.

Whomever takes this gig is going to need some backbone to deal with the NWF State men's basketball coach. As far as the prep stuff goes, the interest in high school football is through the roof. The big teams -- Niceville, FWB, Choctaw and Crestview -- draw well and travel well. Baseball is fairly impressive, as well.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

juco coaches should be happy anybody shows up to cover their games.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

comparing it to roswell damn sure is a condemnation of the place.

6. spud

spud Member

Albeit a wildly inaccurate one.

7. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Don't have a name, but the position has been filled. Replacing Will Parchman who is moving to Texas.

8. ARose17

ARose17 Member

I have taken this job, and ironically, willy be moving from Texas.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, then ... YOU'RE HIRED!

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

you've been waiting to use that properly, haven't you...

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It should happen at least once.

12. eek!gannett!

eek!gannett! Guest

Didn't Parchman just move in from Texas?

Draft saved Draft deleted