1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Fort Walton Beach

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by blacktitleist, Dec 23, 2009.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1136585

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Here's the ad:

The Northwest Florida Daily News in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., is seeking an ambitious, skilled and versatile sports reporter to provide extensive coverage of the area's sports scene. The reporter will be the primary beat writer for Northwest Florida State College, which has both its basketball teams currently ranked in the junior college top 20 and has sent numerous players on to the Division-I level. The reporter will also be heavily involved in the Daily News' award-winning coverage of high school sports and community sporting events. Being able to perform with tight deadlines is a must. Those interested in the position should contact Daily News Sports Editor Adam Pruiett at apruiett@nwfdailynews.com and attatch a resume and writing samples.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

This might be the Roswell of the East. Not running neck and neck with Martinsville but they do have a lot of of turnover.

4. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I know the editor. Adam Pruiett is first rate and easy to get along with.

5. kcol17

kcol17 New Member

I'm curious about this job, so I thought I'd ask...

As a soon to be graduate, is this a good place to start? Just for background info on me, I've covered a major Division 1 school on my college paper for the last 3 and a half years, in various sports. Should I apply?

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Can't get the job if you don't.

7. spud

spud Member

It's not the Roswell of the East and there certainly hasn't been a ton of turnover because of the situation itself. It just sends people to bigger/better things.

I can provide extensive info on this one. PM for details.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i agree with spud.
    definitely not roswell or martinsville by any stretch.
    and kcol17, in today's hiring climate, i wouldn't be waiting around for any major D-I beat to come open anytime soon. in the real world, there are a ton of people with a ton of experience looking for work these days. So, if you can get on somewhere in a good situation, even if it's not covering D-I sports, you need to take a long, hard look at it.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

I didn't get the impression that kcol17 was holding out for a D-I beat. I just thought he/she mentioned it as an aside and was really wondering if he/she had a realistic shot at this job. And to that, I would say it can't hurt to apply.

10. kcol17

kcol17 New Member

I think I'm going to go ahead and send some stuff. Thanks everyone.

11. JoJo

JoJo Member

Any additional info on this one? Who is leaving the paper to cause this job to be open?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't argue with someone who knows all about every paper in the US... good luck to you, kcol. Can't hurt to try...

Draft saved Draft deleted