1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Fayetteville, AR.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by giantjay25, Jul 24, 2006.

1. redsox99

redsox99 Member

There's no layout. The night shift is page checking and taking any calls (usually less than 5 per night) from 7-midnight. No night desk Aug-May. Night desk rotates among staff, usually once every 3-4 weeks or less on Monday nights.

2. Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

What I do know, which is little...

The SE there is a very good guy. He's very organized, and moreover, he's a genuinely nice guy. That's not to say he's a pushover, but he has a pleasant personality and seems like a good guy to answer to.

As for preps, the preps editor there is also a good guy. A little intense, but he doesn't expect anything he wouldn't do himself. They have a young, talented guy handling Arkansas football, and their preps staff is full of nice folks.

This paper has a good pedigree: One of their former prep writers now works at the statewide Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Their former Razorback football writer is starting his first year covering Ole Miss for the Jackson Clarion-Ledger.

Something, I'm sure, will be made of the fact that this paper is locked in a war with the aforementioned Democrat-Gazette. I'm not educated on these things, nor on who's "winning", but I do know the Morning News has always been willing to pump resources into subjects considered to be important. That can't be a bad thing.

There are flaws, I'm sure. Every paper has them. But one could do worse in this case.

4. LemMan

LemMan Member

how's the weather in Fayetteville?

5. redsox99

redsox99 Member

relatively mild winters, snows once or twice on the average. Not too bad in the summer, although lately we've had high 90s. It's not Florida, but it's not Colorado, either. There will be some chilly early season games and lots of gorgeous 85-degree spring games that make for great ........ landscape scenery.

6. Peter LaFleur

Peter LaFleur Member

Who owns the Morning News?

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Stephen's Media Group.

The word is that Mike Capshaw left to write business news. Just an update from what I heard from my friends.

8. Peter LaFleur

Peter LaFleur Member

That's one of the few that I've never heard of before. Any idea if they're good, or if they're known as a good company to work for?

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

As corporate outfits go, you can do worse than Stephens. The pay is fair, as are the benefits. Yes, there are a few instances where one may want to slap their forehead and wonder what the hell the powers that be are thinking, but that's true of any job, anywhere. The best news: This particular paper is Stephens' flagship paper for the state. So far, they've been more than happy to pump any resources necessary into its coffers.

Also, because they're fighting for foothold against a much larger paper, The Morning News isn't afraid to try new things, both writing and design-wise, if it means distinguishing the final product.

Plus, it is a pretty nice area. You'll be near Fayetteville, which has a thriving bar-and-singles scene, and also near Bentonville, which features excellent schools and neighborhoods. So you can become Captain Conquest of the opposite sex, and you can also raise your family in a genteel environment. Presumably not at the same time, however.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Maybe Harold Reynolds should become the paper's baseball writer. (Sorry, sorry! Couldn't resist! ;D)

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Dunno. If these rumors about Reynolds are true...I can't see a publication this reputable hiring someone who tries to nail everything in sight.

But Reynolds, and anyone else, would enjoy living in the area, as well as covering games at Arkansas, which plays at a first-class facility.

Draft saved Draft deleted