1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter: Fargo Forum, North Dakota

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dread Pirate Roberts, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Haven't seen this posted anywhere except on the Minnesota Newspaper Association website yet, but it's a pretty legit opportunity that just opened up last week. I'm not familiar with the staff or what happened to create the opening, but it should generate a lot of interest...particularly among the puckheads among us.

http://mediamn.net/mnajobs/item/109

Write for an award-winning newspaper with a circulation of more than 50,000 in a sports-minded metropolitan community with a population of nearly 150,000. Looking for versatility – potentially covering a wide range of beats from a successful hockey team competing in the nation’s premier junior league, to covering area auto racing to covering high schools that include one of Minnesota’s most successful boys hockey teams. Contributing to the outdoors section is also a possibility. Please submit resume and clips to Kevin Schnepf, Sports Editor, The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, 101 5th Street North, Fargo, N.D., 58107 or send to kschnepf@forumcomm.com. Application deadline is June 30, 2010.

This all comes with the requisite disclaimer that it gets C-O-L-D up there but...

• There are three colleges in town: North Dakota State (D1-AA), Moorhead State (D2) and Concordia College, Moorhead (D3), while the Fighting Sioux are up I-29 about another 50 miles (for as long as they can fight the NCAA off, anyway). The NDSU football is a program on the rise, beating the "rival" Minnesota Gophers in 2010 and having 14 players sign NFL contracts since 2007.

• While many consider it a remote location — and it is, really — the city itself has anything and everything you'd expect in a "big" city. If I recall correctly, it's actually one of the fastest growing cities/areas (Fargo-Moorhead is essentially one city divided by the North Dakota-Minnesota state line) in the country. The housing prices are very affordable given how much building has been going on in the past few years.

• This is the flagship paper for the 30ish-member Forum Communications newspaper group. The company has taken some hits in recent years, as have most, but this is the one that has the most resources to survive. While I don't have any insider info, I've gotta believe the lucky person to get this job should feel pretty secure.

• Perhaps best of all, speeding tickets are literally a slap on the wrist in NoDak. My sister lives up there and paid something like $30 for getting caught going ~15 MPH over the limit. I'm not clear on how that works...but even we can all afford that!

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The job was from last year, it's old (ad says 2010). I'm fairly certain this job is not actually open. That said, Fargo is a nice place to live (except for the old Universal Building downtown) and it was a good place to work.

3. Really? :-[

Guess my newspaper association is a litttttttle slow to update its job opportunities board. My fault.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

No, I thought it was new too. Didn't even notice the date. I talked to a friend at the paper who had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned the opening. When he saw the link he saw it was old and was going to talk to someone about taking it down.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Off-topic: Why are there two state universities (ND State and Morehead State) in a town of 150k?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Minnesota State, Moorhead. Plus, there's D-III Concordia College in Moorhead as well. Both states offer in-state tuition reciprocity.

Up near Grand Forks, there's the University of North Dakota and University of Minnesota, Crookston, which is 25-30 miles away.

7. BrianGriffin

gotcha. And there's a Moorhead (or Morehead?) State in Kentucky too, right?

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Correct. Morehead State once had a pitcher named Mike Hunt.

9. BrianGriffin

Draft saved Draft deleted