1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter Fairbanks (Alaska) Daily News-Miner

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TexasVet, Apr 13, 2019.

1. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

From journalismjobs.com

Our seven-day sports section focuses largely on local sports, including the many that are unique to the Arctic.

You'll help cover sports at more than 20 high schools in a 500-mile radius, the University of Alaska Fairbanks and its two NCAA Division I sports (men's hockey and coed rifle) and eight Division II teams (volleyball, women's swimming, men's and women's cross-country, men's and women's basketball, and men's and women's Nordic skiing).

You could also be covering the Fairbanks Ice Dogs of the Tier II Junior A-level North American Hockey League, and the Alaska Goldpanners independent summer college baseball team. Interior Alaska is rich in sled dog racing, too. We've got the Open North American Championships, one of the premier sprint mushing events on the planet, and the 1,000-mile Yukon Quest International Sled Dog Race. There's also coverage of the World Eskimo-Indian Olympics, the Yukon 800 Marathon riverboat race, the 2,000-mile Iron Dog snowmachine race, and a vibrant running scene, which includes the Midnight Sun Run, conducted during summer solstice. Fairbanks also has a world-class curling community.

NOW — Did I read that correctly? More than 20 high schools in a 500-mile radius? Holy sheep balls!

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Apparently the shortest road trip is Lake Tahoe High.

Batman, bumpy mcgee and TexasVet like this.
  3. MarcoEsquandolas

MarcoEsquandolas New Member

I used to work there and would proceed with caution. PM me if you're interested and I'd be happy to provide more context.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wouldn't even be able to see Russia from my house. It's 617 miles away.

Draft saved Draft deleted