1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Editor- Winfield, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianM, Apr 16, 2014.

1. BrianM

BrianM Member

Apparently, there are a lot of gigs opening up in my neck of the woods. This is from the Kansas Press Association website....

Full-time sports reporter/editor for small-town five days a week daily paper. Must love local sports. Coverage focuses on small towns, one college. Weekends and evenings required. Expected to be a good writer, take own pictures, lay out pages using InDesign, have Internet competence.Team player, courteous, cooperative, reliable professional for five-person office. Send letter, clips, resume, references to zaccaria@winfieldcourier.com.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Let's just say if you are proficient in half of the things in the job description, you'll be head and shoulders ahead of everyone else at that paper.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Winfield is the poor man's Arkansas City ... Just like I'm sure Winfield folks say about AC.

Honestly, there's not a ton do there, but that community in Southern Kansas means a lot to me. I spent a lot of days in high school driving up to Ark City from Tulsa to spend an afternoon with friends. There's a lot of good people in those part, a decent JC basketball and baseball team and a beautiful park surrounding the Arkansas River to do some easy hiking through.

If I was just graduating college, this would be a gig I'd try to get because of how great the community is. Someone young should take a chance on it.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Let's just say if you take this job, you won't learn anything about writing or page design. You likely will regress, actually.

If there are action pictures of high school athletes named Osen (and there are, at least once a week), it's because grandma works there and takes the pics. Huge conflict of interest, but nobody at this paper knows anything about rules or scruples anyway.

5. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Heard through the grapevine that it pays only $10 per hour ...

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Great opportunity to cover Wichita State, too.

I kiiiiddddd.

Was offered the sports job in Ark City once. The pay was less than $10 an hour. Only slightly though so there's that. It was made clear I was getting a good wage compared to the rest of the newsroom too. The whole "close the door" and "a lot of people out in the newsroom don't make what I'm about to offer." Nice guys, though.

But as that was Ark City, it doesn't have anything to do with this.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It kinda does. They're owned by the same company.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

And Obama wants to raise the wage for those dadburn fast-food workers and newspapers reporters to $10.10 an hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted