1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Editor, Valley City, N.D.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by vols1998, Jan 30, 2013.

1. vols1998

vols1998 New Member

Company: Valley City Times-Record
    Position: Sports Reporter/Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: March 6, 2013

Description:

The Valley City Times-Record, is a small, community-oriented daily newspaper in Valley City, North Dakota. We are currently seeking an experienced sports reporter/editor. A love of sports is requisite, and knowledge of InDesign is needed since there will be pagination and design work. Digital photography skills and knowledge of Photoshop are needed since our reporters take their own photos. Some weekend work may be required. Valley City is a community of about 6,500 people, and located on the Sheyenne River just a an hour west of Fargo. Valley City is in a beautiful setting in the Sheyenne River Valley, with a university, big city amenities, and the friendliness of a small town. Those interested may forward a resume, writing samples and references to J. Reed Anderson, Publisher, by e-mail to trpub@times-online.com.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is the fact that there are currently three full-time opening at different papers in North Dakota simultaneously mean that the current/former employees all froze to death?

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'd guess more of the low pay at a starting paper combined with high rent and cost of living. When heating bills go up, it's a good time to move onward and upward.

4. grapp08

grapp08 New Member

Lately everyday has been a constant pro/con analysis of living in North Dakota.

5. vols1998

vols1998 New Member

Grapp,
    That's basically because everyday, there's a position opening up there.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Personally, I like ND. I can even tolerate the weather there.

What I can't understand is the whole housing situation. If demand exceeds supply by that much of a margin, why isn't some entrepreneur there building housing units right and left? Seems like a great way to make money in that business.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From what I've read on the subject, part of it is because the population growth has happened so fast, the communities have been caught by surprise and are only just now starting to approve building more units.

That, and there's a bit of a reluctance to build for fear that the boom will end, and the communities will be stuck with a lot of abandoned houses.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I would guess a developer could still turn a profit.

I lived in one town where I had to overpay for housing because of limited supply and I won't do that again. The job would have to be awfully, awfully good to justify that kind of expense.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Not like you'd think. In Minot, I was working with this one guy who wanted to build "affordable" housing and he couldn't make money on it. He had a family farm from way back and developed it into mostly high-end homes so that it would be worth his while.

Commercial property brings in more, so there are hotels coming in left and right. Since a lot of the influx is oil, it's transient. The hotels in Minot (and I think six or so have opened since I arrived in June) are booked by the oil companies.

The 2011 flood has hampered housing so much more, too. Even the enrollment at the U is down since there's no student housing, and there is very little "workforce housing" available. You can get a job at Taco John's for $12 an hour, but you cannot live on that. It's so bad for some service workers that Menards is flying in employees from another location to work.

You rent rooms in apartments for $1000. My organization is subletting me a trailer from a member of the church, and it's a cut-rate $1000 a month. They could easily get $3k for it. (After May 15, I go back to living in the no-running-water RV on the back of the church lot.)

The Salvation Army in Williston is buying bus tickets home for people who up and move in hopes of finding a job. Jobs fall from the sky, but the people either don't get or don't heed the "line up housing in advance" warning.

It's bad. I work in flood relief in Minot and hear the same thing every week at the meetings.

And right now, 18 months after the flood (damaged a quarter of the city's housing), people are desperate to get out of the still-500 FEMA units, but 250 of those were renters and simply have no place left to go. The city is trying to turn "FEMAville" into a permanent establishment, but the farmer who leased the land needs his farm back. FEMA is even selling the units to the people in them because there just isn't anything available -- but they still need a place to put them.

From a study done last year for the city of Minot:

10. Zagsfan83

Zagsfan83 Member

"You rent rooms in apartments for $1000. My organization is subletting me a trailer from a member of the church, and it's a cut-rate $1000 a month. They could easily get $3k for it. (After May 15, I go back to living in the no-running-water RV on the back of the church lot."

I pay $600 a month to split a pretty decent two-bedroom apartment in Minot that's about a year old. That's about $200 too much because of the demand, but our paper makes up for it by not paying the usual $11.50 per hour. We get a lil' more than that.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

$1,000 per month?!?!? Good Lord, for that price it better be a freakin' Taj Mahal. Minot ain't San Francisco.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Perhaps San Francisco has plenty of places to choose from Minot does not.

The cost of living is amazingly high. It's all supply and demand. It's very sad, because the people I work (meaning flood survivors, not colleagues) with cannot either afford or find housing, even when they make $50k a year.

I saw the $1k on Craigs List this week. It was a room in a three-bedroom apartment. It's not uncommon. It's worse in Williston.

Draft saved Draft deleted