1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter/editor, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sports Reporter
    Prince Albert Daily Herald

Description

The Prince Albert Daily Herald, a daily newspaper based in central Saskatchewan, seeks a senior sports reporter to take a key role in its newsroom.

The successful candidate will play a key role in covering a vibrant sports community, including the WHL Prince Albert Raiders. Demonstrated ability to write about all forms of sports and athletic endeavors — from basketball to chuckwagon races — is a considerable asset, as is a proven portfolio of diverse story forms.

The senior sports reporter will also be asked to capture images as well, so photography skills should be considered essential.

The senior sports reporter will assist the Managing Editor in crafting direction for a two-person sports team. The successful candidate will also paginate pages once per week, and as a fill-in for vacationing night editors, so examples of page layout should be included in the application package.

This position is ideal for sports reporter who has spent the last year or two in a community newspaper, or a reporter in a daily environment who is looking for greater challenges and opportunities to move closer to an editor’s role through consistent layout experience.

Expected start date is April 1.

Qualifications

Applicants must have a valid drivers licence, and although the Herald provides its reporters with access to a company car, applicants should either have access to a reliable vehicle or obtain a reliable vehicle once they arrive in Prince Albert.
    We may train a suitable candidate that does not possess layout skills.

Those interested should send samples of their best work (three to five writing samples, at least half a dozen photos and page layout samples) along with a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff gaulin's Journalism Job Board - and resume by 5 p.m. Feb. 22 to:

Vern Faulkner, managing editor
    Prince Albert Daily Herald
    Prince Albert , SK
    S6V 0Y5 ,

Anyone know much about the paper? Or the people?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wouldn't mind live living there, but as an American, the chance at scoring a visa is slim.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I've covered a lot of things, but never a chuckwagon race.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's no tractor pull...

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I have this image of trying to interview Dub Taylor and Walter Brennan upon conclusion of said chuckwagon race.

6. boxand1

boxand1 New Member

I can't help but imagine the dateline PRINCE ALBERT —

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Is the town just one enormous can?

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

This job has been advertised for no less than once a year for the last three or four years. People I've known who have worked there would never go back, since it's so far in the middle of nowhere it can get really depressing.

A major employer in that community has had problems, so the local economy - again, from what others have told me - is not good.

As for the paper, just like any other it's what you make of it. I've heard some good things and some bad things, which I'd rather not repeat here. However, the turnover would worry me.

The most interesting tidbit I can provide is that they were going with one reporter in their sports section for the past five years. Given that the title of this position has the word 'senior' affixed to it, the suggestion is that they're expanding back to two.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When I think of a "Prince Albert," I think of something else.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

They're actually a lot of fun. Most of the competitors will invite you back for a beer afterwards. Aside from some pretty engaging personalities, you'll end up with some great photos.

Do NOT take an invite to ride in one of those things unless you've got a good helmet and safety goggles. Seriously.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I noticed the staff directory on their website listed two sports reporters. so I assume one must be in the process of leaving to create this vacancy.

At least they have a WHL team, even if it isn't the largest of WHL markets. As for the local economy, seems like everyplace is in the shitter these days.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i do not plan on participating in a chuckwagon race. I will drink free beer, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted