1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Editor- Ketchikan, AK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1540888

ompany: Ketchikan Daily News
    Position:
    Sports reporter/editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    December 9, 2013
    Job ID: 1540888

Description:

Sports reporter/editor in one-person department of family-owned newspaper. Cover high school, middle school and community basketball, baseball, football, soccer, volleyball, wrestling, cross country, track etc. in a small community with an outdoors lifestyle in the Tongass National Forest. Lay out sports pages. Journalism degree or sports reporting experience required. Benefits: Paid vacation, paid holidays, profit sharing/401k. Health/dental insurance optional. Send resume, clips and cover letter to: Tena Williams, Co-Publisher, Ketchikan Daily News, P.O. Box 7900, Ketchikan, Alaska, 99901, or tena@ketchikandailynews.com

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Had a phone interview for this job when I was fresh out of college (roughly the middle of the Ice Age), sounded like a heck of an adventure.

3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Now this is in the middle of nowhere. It's in the southern part of the state, so the summers aren't too bad, but it's pretty remote. Great place if you like bonding with nature when not writing.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My two cents on a unique job opportunity:

This position pops up from time to time ... probably because Ketchikan is so isolated. Planes or ferries are the only way in or out. It's a long, almost two-day ride over occasionally rough water from Bellingham, Wash. Oh, and it's one of the rainiest towns in the country.

That being said, it's a small, independently-owned paper that is run well. They do a good job covering anything and everything that happens in their corner of southeast Alaska. Especially high school basketball, which is huge in the region.

Ketchikan Daily News is a way better daily paper than Juneau's, despite the latter being in a bigger town (and the state capital).

If I was younger, I'd apply for this in a heartbeat ... but do your homework on what it's like to live in Ketchikan. If you enjoy hiking, fishing, the outdoors, it's a rainforest paradise.

5. jankaj

jankaj New Member

Hello all,

I'm the outgoing Sports Editor at the Ketchikan Daily News, and I Should Coco nailed it on the head.
    I've been at the post for nearly two years, and decided to leave because a better opportunity presented itself. I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience working at the paper. The rest of the newsroom is easy to work with and full of bright, young journalists who — like me — sought the Alaska adventure early in our careers.
    It does rain a lot, sometimes four or five inches in a day. The athletes are used to it, so invest in some high quality raingear, because the games will go on.
    All in all, I'd say this is an excellent first daily job as well as a great position for anyone looking for a new adventure/experience.
    Feel free to message me directly with any other questions regarding the job/Ketchikan.

AJ

6. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Reposted today, January 7
    From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1555567

Company: Ketchikan Daily News
    Position:
    Sports reporter/editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    February 11, 2014
    Job ID: 1555567

Description:

Sports reporter/editor in one-person department of family-owned daily newspaper. Cover high school, middle school and community basketball, baseball, football, soccer, volleyball, wrestling, cross country, track etc. in a small community with an outdoors lifestyle in the Tongass National Forest. Also lay out sports pages. Journalism degree or sports reporting experience required. Benefits: Paid vacation, paid holidays, profit sharing/401k. Health/dental insurance optional. Send resume, clips and cover letter to: Tena Williams, Co-Publisher, Ketchikan Daily News, P.O. Box 7900, Ketchikan, Alaska, 99901. tena@ketchikandailynews.com.

7. alexshoemaker

alexshoemaker New Member

No offense to anyone in or from Alaska, but you've gotta be pretty desperate to travel their for work

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It was minus-1 here this morning. I might as well.

9. Zads07

Zads07 Member

It was -14 in Michigan last night.

10. Says the (unemployed?) guy who misuses the word their :p

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It was warmer there than in Michigan last night.

12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

So -1 is warmer than -14? Thanks for clearing that up.

Draft saved Draft deleted