1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter/editor, Kennett, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jul 1, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

The Daily Dunklin Democrat, a five-day, daily newspaper seeking applicants for the position of sports reporter. Excellent writing skills, computer knowledge, and photography experience a must. Candidate must be willing to work flexible hours including nights and weekends. Some travel may be required. Interested applicants may send resumes to Michelle Rasberry at mrasberry@dddnews.com or mail to P.O. Box 669, Kennett, MO 63857

2. BrianM

BrianM Member

Sheryl Crow's hometown. That's all I've got....

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

You'll have a Missouri address, but you may as well be in Arkansas or Tennessee.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But do they have a Dunklin Donuts?

5. michaelbuhler

michaelbuhler New Member

I had this job from March 2006 to January 2010, so I have some insight.

First of all, Kennett is right in the Missouri Bootheel. It's just a couple of miles east of the Arkansas line and 20-30 miles from the Tennessee line. There's not much to do in town (the best restaurant is a Mexican place called Mi Ranchito's that makes some great creamy guacamole), but Memphis is like 100 miles south and both Nashville and St. Louis are around 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

The prep sports aren't too bad. It's a one-man show, but your main focus will be Kennett. Those are the games you'll staff the most. The football team has had two winning seasons since 2000, but just hired one of the best coaches in the area. The baseball teams is a perennial contender and the basketball teams usually are in the hunt as well. The next schools on your radar will be Senath-Hornersville, Holcomb, Southland and Delta C7.

The townspeople are good. Very southern and conservative, but if you do a good job, they'll love you. I made tons of friends there and some good memories too.

There also can be opportunities to cover bigger stuff. I staffed Tennessee Titans games when I was there. Even with stricter credentialing, I still had season credentials in 2007 and 2009. Arkansas State, a lower ranking FBS school, is an hour away. It would be on your time and dime, but still could be good to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted