1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Editor at the Recorder, Amsterdam, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ChrisMaza, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Company: The Recorder
    Position:
    Sports Reporter/Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    February 10, 2011
    Job ID: 1048504

Description:
    The Recorder, an award-winning daily newspaper in Amsterdam, is seeking an enthusiastic and skilled reporter to cover local sports and assist in page layout.

Applicants must have a bachelor's degree and college, weekly or daily newspaper writing experience.

Candidates with page layout experience will be given preference.

Amsterdam is centrally located in upstate New York, 30 minutes west of Albany.

We offer a competitive salary and great benefits. For immediate consideration email your resume, cover letter and writing clips to Kevin Mattison, Executive Editor, at kmattison@recordernews.com. If necessary, mail your items to The Recorder, 1 Venner Rd., Amsterdam, NY 12010.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One-man staff? Or bigger than that?

3. Sports Tick

Sports Tick New Member

It's definitely more than a one-man shop. They use a pay model for their main website, but sports has its own free website at http://sidelineguys.recordernews.com. Bios of staff members are there. We don't compete with them directly, but they've always been known to churn out good sportswriters. Looks like a quality staff in place. Perhaps they are expanding.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

So according to the OP, you need to relocate and make a decision ASAP or it won't work out. Publications these days are just idiotic.

5. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

What exactly is their definition of a "competitive" salary? 20-22 K and all the Rahman Noodles one can eat?

6. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

If I recall, it wasn't terrific, but it was about on par with the norm, which isn't very good, either.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In an area like Amsterdam, 22K for a single person isn't half-bad, although not terrific. If you have a family, though, it wouldn't pay.

8. Sports Tick

Sports Tick New Member

From what I remember the pay was a lot more than 22 K. I thought it was closer to 30 K which is more than some of the other competing publications.

9. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

Has anyone heard anything on this one? Last I knew, they had a full staff of three and no one has gone anywhere of late.
    I can't imagine they're adding one to the department as they've been at three people for a while now.

Draft saved Draft deleted