1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, east-central Ill.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Nov 1, 2011.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

The Paris Beacon-News, a six-day daily newspaper in East Central Illinois seeks a sports reporter.

Candidates should have a journalism degree or writing experience, a love of sports and the ability to write game stories and features. Photography and pagination are a plus, as well as knowledge of InDesign.

To apply, send a cover letter, resume and work samples to Managing Editor Kathy Rhoads, krhoads@parisbeacon.com. Only the applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this was open earlier this year.

3. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

As an Illinoisan I don't know too much about the town or the paper. You are less than two hours from Indy and not too far from Champaign. Sounds like a good job for someone right out of college.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Small town, midway between Charleston (Eastern Illinois) and Terre Haute, Ind. Local high school (Paris Tigers) and some really small surrounding towns (no traffic light-sized). Not much happens in Paris (I've visited), but if you know design, you could probably take over in a couple of months. It's an awful looking paper.

5. allanjlewis

allanjlewis New Member

Not listed anymore, I sent in my resume a long time ago and never heard back. Their website was a disaster so I figured I had a shot at it. Seems like it would be a good starter job and isn't too far from where I am at in Edwardsville. Oh well...

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looks like about a two-hour drive to St. Louis and a little over an hour to Indianapolis with a good fuzzbuster. Probably about 2 1/2 hours to Chicago via country roads since it's off the north-south beaten path.

Any good school nicknames in the area since Illinois is loaded with them?

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

2012?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Check the posting date.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I actually did live here for my high school years. You just go over to Danville and then up to get to Chicago.

The best nickname in the area is from my junior-high town, the Hoopeston Area Cornjerkers.

10. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Hoopeston (also the hometown of Thad Matta) is about an hour and 15 minutes north of Paris, I'd guess.

Paris isn't "close" to any place of note, really. I think there are a couple of the basic fast food places in town, and there may be a Wal-Mart on the north end now. There's a second-run theater that may have two screens.

I assume Paris High School will get the lion's share of attention. Nearby Chrisman H.S. had some great small-school basketball back in the day but not as much lately. The IHSA website says they also cover Casey-Westfield, which has a good small-school football tradition.

11. allanjlewis

allanjlewis New Member

Looks like this one is open again, anyone know why?

12. jla74m

jla74m Member

I had an interview here a while back. The publisher was a first-rate A$$HOLE! This guy was so stuck on himself that he actually uttered this sentence to me ... "The guy that I will hire is going to be a 'Yes-Man.'"

It was clear to me that he knew NOTHING about sports or how to present it in a newspaper. All he cared about was business and appeared to treat his employees like crap. I was left with the impression that his advertisers were more important to him than his workers.

Definitely not the kind of person that's going to inspire company loyalty.

Draft saved Draft deleted