1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Duluth, Minn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by UPChip, Mar 23, 2023.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/c/Foru...s-Reporter/-in-Duluth,MN?jid=946ebbcc628640e3

Do you enjoy a good U.P. threadjack? Having a boss who works #MACtion into every other conversation? Well, here's a chance to work for me (and other people) at the News Tribune in Duluth.

Seriously (or for those of you who don't frequent the Sports/News board), this is my shop and one of three reporters under me. We won Newspaper of the Year at this year's Minnesota Newspaper Assocation awards and the New York Times seems to be writing about the city twice a month. A long time ago, I found a great hire for a previous shop here, so I figured I'd bring it to the jobs board myself. I'm going to let the official language above speak for itself but a few quick questions you may have:
    • The position is Guild-represented
    • The weather in Duluth is, well, as advertised, but I can see a Great Lake from my apartment building, so there's that. The snow will be gone by the time you get here.
    • Depending upon the strengths of the candidate, we may adjust beats, but the person who last held this position had the following primary responsibilities (the D-II [so, not hockey] teams at the University of Minnesota Duluth, which includes an annually competitive football team and is the only school in the country this year that reached the NCAA Elite Eight in men's and women's basketball [I just got back from the latter]; the Duluth Huskies summer collegiate wood bat baseball league team; a secondary role on preps that will likely include some state tournament trips; and first dibs on stories out of the local D-IIIs, the College of St. Scholastica and the University of Wisconsin-Superior). This is not an official timeline, but I'd really hope we'd have someone in place in time for Grandma's Marathon (Father's Day weekend), which is already sold out and one of the top marathons in the country.
    • Duluth is two hours and change from the Twin Cities on one freeway (someone else will have to calculate distance to Tahoe)
    • The executive editor is a former DNT sports editor, and the publisher is also a former sports editor.
    I'd be happy to answer any simple questions via DMs but for more complicated stuff I may need to pass or defer to more official channels.

maumann likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If you can handle winter - real winter - Duluth is a seriously underrated place to live.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Class of 2023 at Journalism School X go over their job offers:

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Come to Duluth. We're warmer than Yakutsk.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

If I was younger, single, and not a parent, I'd be applying for this tonight.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Distance to Tahoe is 15 minutes.

Obviously.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

UPChip likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That is a deep fucking cut. I thought I was the only one who ever saw that movie.

Batman likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was an HBO/Cinemax staple for a while back in the day. Guess parts of it stuck with me 30-plus years later.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Anything indoors that time of year I'm down with. Basketball, hockey or indoor athletics. The other 6 months sound freaking gorgeous.

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Once experienced a 30-degree drop within about 5 minutes along Canal Park Drive.

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Unless there's a blizzard ... then it might take 20 minutes ... :D

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted