1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Downers Grove, IL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Aug 21, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Suburban Life Media is looking for a sports writer to join our award-winning staff. Based in Downers Grove, Suburban Life is publisher of 18 weekly newspapers that serve Cook, DuPage and Will counties.

This is a full-time position with a primary focus on prep sports coverage for our print and online editions. Our sports writers are expected to generate their own story ideas and field assignments from editors.

We need someone who understands that although the way in which we deliver information continues to expand and evolve, the core of what we do – telling meaningful stories about sports and those who play – remains the same. In addition to writing, preferred candidates will have the ability to shoot photographs and video when necessary and will be able to build and connect with the audience through social media.

At least one year of professional experience is preferred, but recent graduates with outstanding internship experience are encouraged to apply. Solid knowledge of AP Style and grammar required, as is ability to write clear, concise copy. Must have a valid drivers license, dependable transportation and proof of insurance.

Shaw Media offers an extensive benefit package.

Please send a cover letter that explains your journalism credentials and philosophy, along with a résumé to:

Editorialrecruitment@shawmedia.com
    or
    Apply now at: www.shawsuburbanmedia.com/careers

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Wow, my old stomping grounds ... and my first full-time journalism gig, back at Suburban Life before it went through about three or four mergers with other suburban weekly/bi-weekly papers.

Don't know anything about Shaw media, but there are still plenty of good stories to be told in the western 'burbs.

Probably a good gig for a recent college grad.

"I like to shop in downtown Downers Grove ..." :D

Draft saved Draft deleted