1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter | Dickinson, N.D.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pcotton, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

I'm the sports editor here, so I'm happy to answer any questions. I got my start at this paper in summer 2015 when I left college and was made sports editor by summer 2016. It's treated me very well. I don't know for sure (because I haven't discussed it with the publisher), but I would expect the starting pay to be in the neighborhood of $30k, which can go a long way here.

-----

Journalism Jobs link

The Dickinson (N.D.) Press has an immediate opening for a Sports Reporter.

The ideal candidate would join a two-person sports department focused entirely on reporting the southwest North Dakota sports scene.

We're looking for a self-starter able to produce a strong balance of features, columns and enterprise stories alongside everyday game recaps and previews. We want someone who can develop a social media presence and help institute new ideas. Our reporters takes their own photographs with DSLR cameras and lenses provided by the newspaper, so photography experience is helpful. Our sports pages are designed by a company design center, so you can expect to be writing at least one story a day (sometimes more).

Our coverage focus is on the 13 high school teams in southwest North Dakota and Dickinson State University, a successful NAIA program. In the summer, The Press covers a competitive American Legion baseball team, professional and amateur rodeo, and the local dirt-track auto racing scene. The summer also brings opportunities to cover golf tournaments, recreational sports and an annual high school football all-star game between North Dakota and Montana.

The sports reporter's primary beat focuses are Dickinson State athletics and rodeo while also helping the sports editor with a prep beat when necessary, and contributing to the production of a handful of special projects.

This is an excellent position for someone looking to gain valuable daily newspaper experience. In the past 10 years, five award-winning reporters and editors have moved on to larger newspapers throughout the country or to higher positions within Forum Communications Co., which owns The Press and several other newspapers in the upper Midwest.

Applicants must:

– Have a journalism or English degree, or similar, from a four-year college.

– Have one year of journalism experience at either a daily newspaper, student newspaper or internship. Recent journalism school graduates are encouraged to apply.

– Be able to write, edit and produce a strong sports section under tight deadlines.

– Have strong decision-making, communication and interpersonal skills.

– Be a motivated, self-starter who can produce award-winning ideas.

– Have a valid driver’s license and a driving record that is insurable by the company, and transportation.

Please send a cover letter, resume and no more than five writing clips, plus photography samples and three professional references, to Harvey Brock hbrock@thedickinsonpress.com

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Why is the paper looking for a "lead reporter" who is basically an editor? Trying to save some change?

3. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

They've tried to consolidate those roles. Saving some change and getting some more experience in the newsroom are the likeliest reasons why.

Draft saved Draft deleted