1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter/desker -- Port Charlotte, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Apr 13, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1485464

The Charlotte Sun (28,000 summer/50,000 winter), a family owned daily located on the Southwest Florida coast, seeks a versatile journalist to join the seven-person team producing our community-oriented sports section.

We are looking for someone to handle both reporting and desk shifts. Candidates should have writing clips that show an ability to produce feature/enterprise work that utilizes creative nonfiction techniques as well as event coverage that doesn't rely on play-by-play. Desk clips should show strong copy editing skills, command of AP style and a firm grasp of fundamental design principles.

A journalism or related college degree is required as is experience with InDesign and InCopy. Photography skills, experience with Photoshop and Illustrator and the ability to speak Spanish are preferred. While some experience is a plus, entry level candidates will be considered.

Send cover letter, resume and both reporting and desk samples (minimum three of each) to Mark L. Lawrence, Sports Editor, 23170 Harborview Road, Charlotte Harbor, FL 33980 or via email mlawrence@sun-herald.com. No phone calls.

The Sun Coast Media Group is an equal opportunity employer. Our employees have never been forced to take a furlough, and there has been only one round of layoffs in company history. We are a nicotine- and drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug/nicotine testing is required.

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

nicotine testing? There is such a thing?

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

There's a curfew and a bed check every night after deadline, too.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Deadline is at..... let me guess.... 7 p.m.?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Big Brother has gone too far. For a $25K gig? Damn.

6. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Desk samples?
    Like oak, mahogany, walnut -- that kinda thing?

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Samples that show your stuff is top-drawer?

8. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Way back in the day, about 1990, a current big-time columnist tipped me on that job and told me to use his name. "I don't know about the pay though- that could be a problem," he said. Yeah, it was about $6 an hour if I remember correctly. A cut from a semiweekly gig.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

$6 was a lot more back then. First job out of college in 1989 I made $14k per year and lived pretty well as a single person.

Of course, gas was less than $1 per gallon then, too.

10. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

That's $12,480 before taxes Mark. I didn't want to back off from $616 every two weeks.

11. $6 was crap in 1989 and you know it. Don't be a tool.

12. Was offered a job there back in late 90s as a copy editor. Pay was 20k I believe but that included MANDATORY overtime of at least 10 hours a week. The paper isn't bad and it's cheaper to live there than just about anyplace between Tampa-Miami. If you're young and no strong s, you could do worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted