1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Designer, Midland, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Actually, I have worked for the R-T and it was a decent gig. Pop.'s not 20k; that's the circ. Population's pushing 100,000. Midland is built on the oil industry, and it is very conservative. And flat as a table. The H.S. football beats are lots of fun, really. Good football at all levels and you'll see some interesting things. WT is not for everybody and lord knows I'd never wanna go back.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i was referring to harker heights that the sock puppet brought up when i mentioned the 20k population, samolean.

and visalia, more than half of your 59 posts so far have included personal attacks, not just observations. but you keep having fun being a sock puppet and everyone else just needs to read your past posts to figure you out.

3. It is what it is. My observations obviously hurt your inner being. For that, I apologize. I'm also sorry your emotions are so fragile. I thought this was a site for sports journalists. I guess I was wrong.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Done that at other places where I've worked and it's worked pretty well. Keeps people from getting burned out on either writing or desk work and allows everyone to share the marquee beats as well. At a paper that size, everyone has to be versatile.

Len, I'm sure you will attract some quality candidates. A paper where I used to work not much larger received 190 applicants for a recent opening.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Where did I say this paper was a bad one? I know for a fact it's pretty damn good one. Don't put words in my mouth.

Also, yes, I have lived in Texas all my life, and just because I didn't know where Harker Heights was doesn't disprove that. Texas is a pretty big state, ya know.

Also, further proof of your inability to read, I said people I know have said not too many good things about the area. Never did I say that those were my own thoughts. Just telling what I've heard people say, that's all.

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Good place for a youngster out of school, someone looking to move up from a weekly or a middle-aged pro who is comfortable living in what Texas has to offer. (There actually are some worse places to live than Midland.)

Len is good people. You'll get a chance to cover some good football there.

Draft saved Draft deleted