1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Daytona Beach

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KJIM, Mar 15, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

From journalism jobs:

The Daytona Beach News-Journal
    Sports Reporter
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full-time
    Negotiable

The Daytona Beach News-Journal is looking for a passionate sports reporter and strong storyteller to help us cover 18 high schools, four local colleges (Bethune-Cookman University, Stetson University, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Daytona State College), fishing/outdoors and, of course, auto racing and NASCAR's biggest race, the Daytona 500. This is a general-assignment position with broad writing responsibilities in the sports department. Candidates should be able to write memorable features, enterprise and game stories quickly on deadline that need little editing. You should be a strong team player who can collaborate with a veteran staff of talented sports reporters. Applicants from Florida and the Southeast are encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter, resume and three clips to: Attn: Human Resources, The Daytona Beach News-Journal, P.O. Box 2831, Daytona Beach, FL, 32120-2831, or email wendy.michael@news-jrnl.com. EOE.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they are hiring. Interesting place. Good luck.

3. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

I don't know much about the job or newspaper, but my dealings with Sports Editor Burke Noel when he was in Spartanburg, S.C., were always good. He seemed like a good guy to work and deal with.

4. My former place of employment....Love the people there....Ken Willis is one of the best columnists around

5. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Second.

I'll also vouch for the SID staff at Embry-Riddle. They do a great job, and ERAU is an NAIA powerhouse in just about every sport.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Great location. Burke is a good guy.

7. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

What's their circulation? Any idea on what pay range should be for this outfit?

8. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

Burke is without doubt a top notch guy. Gave me a chance to write for the Spartanburg Herald-Journal when I was in college and I really, really appreciated it.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A friend of mine who used to work there said she got pressed into service on the sports desk for a while, and the staff were nothing but friendly and helpful, particularly given the fact that she knew next to nothing about sports.

So that's the good news. The bad news is that they pressed someone who knew next to nothing about sports into service on the sports desk.

10. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

A good guess on pay would be $30K-$40K.

11. Big_Worm

Big_Worm New Member

Anyone know what happened with this one?

12. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

Last I heard they were down to their final three, at least according to a friend who interviewed.

Draft saved Draft deleted