1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- Daytona Beach News-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dailygrind, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

No. Property taxes are insane though as is home owner's insurance.

2. Have to make up for the lack of state income tax somehow.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. Eh, chances are I'd be renting anyway. No way in Hades am I going through the home owner thing again. Too much work.

4. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

dude, the insurance and property taxes DRIVE UP RENTALS IN FLORIDA.. the owners have to pay for that shit. Even condos. Sometimes, especially condos, which are often made with toothpicks.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I thought that decision had been made for you.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

The fact you admit that you'd rather rent than own verifies a lot of of things I've thought about you.

7. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

Just to address a couple of things. I work at this shop now. Yes, gas tends to be high here. That said, I rent a decent apartment here in Daytona, make a car payment and still have enough money to keep my freezer full and have some extra cash in my pocket to do the things I want to do. We have a good team of guys here, and our SE is pretty sharp. I could be wrong, but it just seems to me that, in the current climate, that is not so bad.

8. jtj16

jtj16 New Member

Do you know if this something soon-to-be college grads with good experience would be considered for this? Or do you need to be a few years out of school/be ready to start now?

9. Experience is more than just writing for the college paper and stringing for a few local papers.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

With a crowded job market, it may be tough to make it here straight out of college. But anything is possible. Send in your material and good luck.

11. berniefocker

berniefocker New Member

Any word on this one?

Draft saved Draft deleted