1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- Daytona Beach News-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dailygrind, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Isn't that where people drive in a circle really fast to get back to the start line?

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we do. I know you meant Florida's east coast but every I see the title Redneck Riviera I can't help myself.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I had to keep it to the east coast because of all the Roll Tides in the Panhandle.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You're not associating NASCAR with rednecks, are you?

5. Riptide

Only the dumb rednecks.

Joke.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I got ya, mate. Everyplace has stereotypes and many of them are true. There are good and bad points to just about everywhere.

If Daytona's not your thing, there's a sports job that just came open in Lakeland, Fla. (halfway between Tampa and Orlando) at another paper that is also owned by Halifax Media Group.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be fair to Daytona Beach, it's actually nice immediately north, south and west of Daytona. And east too, but that's kind of wet.

8. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Things people don't think about....gas (not as high as the west coast or major metro areas, but reliably high with fewer dips), house insurance (astronomical, which also factors into rent and really impacts mortgages), grocery bills, restaurant prices (jacked because of tourists). It is a high cost of living. Air conditioning runs for months longer than many other places, which jacks electric bills. Constantly. Yet there are still times you have to heat your abode, which jacks the electric even higher.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Gas is higher in Daytona than in the inland parts of Florida as well, at least from my recollection.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Doesn't Florida have pretty high gas taxes?

11. TWilliams161

TWilliams161 New Member

Got a link?

12. Riptide

It's on the Jobs board. Did you look there?

Draft saved Draft deleted