1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- Daytona Beach News-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dailygrind, Feb 4, 2013.

1. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

I used to do some freelance stuff for Godwin and Brian Mac back when I was in college. I don't live too far from there and love being at DIS. Maybe I should apply. ;D

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

41K here? No freaking way.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Keep in mind for those of you out of Florida applying -- no state income tax. Your money could go a wee bit farther... :)

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Steve, not in Daytona. Prices are higher there because it is a tourist destination. I've always hated low paying Florida employers who try to lure candidates with the no sales tax and bright sunshine gimmick.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

But I thought that was the average pay for journalism graduates? So, it pays $41k right?

6. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones New Member

Evidently, those journalism graduates are not taking any courses in "The economics of the newspaper industry in the 21st century." If you think you are going to land a job at a small to midsize paper making $41K out of college, you might want to reconsider your career choice.

7. slc10

slc10 Member

I worked at a small paper for 12 years and I didn't make more than 26,000. I did have health benefits but somebody had to pay for them.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I like the "no state tax" thing myself, but cost of living is always a big factor. :)

9. slc10

slc10 Member

But Steve where else can you drive on a beach and check out hot babes at the same time? Those sounds like good fringe benefits to me. Besides you can always live outside of the city.

10. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

I just sent in my stuff. Hope it's good enough!!!!

11. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I guess the new person won't be in place by Sunday.

12. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

Any word on this? Did they start the hiring process yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted