1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- Daytona Beach News-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dailygrind, Feb 4, 2013.

1. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

To all that may be interested. Not a bad place to work at all. SE is good people.

Description:
    The Daytona Beach News-Journal is looking for a passionate sports reporter and strong storyteller to cover 18 high schools, and help with coverage of four local colleges (Bethune-Cookman University, Stetson University, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Daytona State College), auto racing and, of course, NASCAR's biggest race, the Daytona 500. This is a general-assignment position with broad writing responsibilities in the sports department. Candidates should be able to write memorable features, enterprise and game stories quickly on deadline that need little editing. You should be a strong team player who can collaborate with a veteran staff of talented sports reporters. Applicants from Florida and the Southeast are encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter, resume and three clips to: Attn: Human Resources, The Daytona Beach News-Journal, P.O. Box 2831, Daytona Beach, FL, 32120-2831, or email hr@news-jrnlcom. EOE.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1467943

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Burke Noel, the SE, is definitely a good guy.

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Godwin Kelly, the paper's motorsports and outdoors editor, is also good people ...

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The paper's new owners are not good people.

5. STLwriter

STLwriter Member

Wasn't this job open within the last year?

6. slc10

slc10 Member

I vaguely remember this one being around months ago STLwriter.
    Deskslave, there aren't many owners that could be classified as good. Too many conglomerates, etc.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

March of last year, if you're interested.

8. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

I actually filled the position last March. I'm still at the paper. This is another opening. For the record, I have been extremely happy with how I have been treated at this shop.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Acknowledged. But with these, you'll get all the contempt for journalism of a conglomerate, plus a heaping helping of pettiness, spite, malice and small-town backstabbing.

I may have a personal bias in this situation, I must acknowledge.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It does but that's not a criticism of you. Obviously you had a bad experience with that chain. Something like that could happen at any paper. It just depends on the circumstances.

11. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

Again, I have had nothing but a pleasant experience here.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

What's a gig like this pay? Ballpark figure? $41k? Right?

Draft saved Draft deleted