1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports reporter, danbury news times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lefty2432, Dec 15, 2008.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I read about this case in a true crime anthology and I'm pretty sure they convicted the husband. Why a 20-year-old NYT story is being dredged up now is what interests me. An appeal or a parole hearing, perhaps?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

All the idiots in that movie were Minnesotans, not NoDaks.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Was just reminded of it reading about the Danbury guy who fed his buddy into a meat grinder.

4. goneup

goneup Member

Amy Fisher also spent her prison time there!!!

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Wow, this was 20 years ago?? I vividly remember this being on the local news. Sheeee-it.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Anyone know cost of living there?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Insane. Approaching New York City prices (it's only an hour to 90 minutes away) at what I'd guess would be $30,000, or close to it. Enjoy Ramen!

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

9. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Cost of living is outrageous. But, it could be done for a young pup. Also, are we really in a position to complain about any job opening? This isn't a bad place, and it's been sold several times recently.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One of cool things about Danbury is that it give you the feel of what it would be like living in Central or South America. It has a rich and vibrant immigrant population.

Liberal zoning laws allow you pack as many people as you want into your dwelling to help offset high rental costs.

Gas now at 1.65 at local Citgo thanks to Uncle Hugo wanting to see his countrymen get a fair deal.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

The further north you get up Route 84, though, the cheaper it gets. You can live south or west of Waterbury, still be 30-40 mins away from Danbury and live a lot cheaper than in Danbury or the immediate towns.

12. I have a little insight about the actual job.

I worked at the News-times up until 2005, and I'm at a 180,000 circ paper largely because of the time I spent there.

The writer will take ed flink's spot, who's been there forever and recently left the paper. Flink was the lead football writer, the lead basketball and baseball writer. He was the last of the old guard, as people like Jim Stout, (One hell of a dude), have been slowly leaving.

There is one difference. Flink didn't do any desk work. This hire probably will because there is a shortage of desk people. as of now, the only other fulltime writer on staff is dan farrand, who in my opinion is a very good young writer.

Jason Sonski is one of my favorite people in the biz. as the sports editor, he let me make mistakes and gave me a wide net of stories, and there are good stories that come out of there. I covered the danbury trashers, and that was one of the most controversial beats in the country at the time. Jason's young, he's savvy and he knows what he's doing, other than the fact that he's a celtic fan.

In short, I'd recommend this job to any youngster that wants to get good clips and learn the trade.

Draft saved Draft deleted