1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Copy Editor -- Harrisonburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Cristiano_Ronaldo, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Duton

Duton Member

All true. And yes, that Penn State grad is me and I do suck at poker.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Also, keep Duton away from your baked goods. He might just eat them. (Insert inside joke giggle here.)

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

In Duton's defense, he's a great........damn, I've got nothing.
    Sorry for wasting everyone's time, haha

I do feel sorry for him, however, for having to sit through another season of poo poo JMU men's basketball.

4. Duton

Duton Member

And with that post, I just figured out who Willie-Butch is. There's only one man on Earth who uses the word "poo-poo."

I don't mind all the ball-busting, of course (Let's hear it for Wicked on the baked goods reference. Well played, well played). God knows I'm used to it. But I wonder if anyone with any desire to apply is ever going to ask about this job.

5. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

If these young fellas are smart, they'd be jumping at this job.

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Getting kinda low, so I'll bump it up.
    Any new developments here?

7. scalper

scalper Member

Bump. Anybody?

8. Duton

Duton Member

We got some applications in. Some were promising. I'm being vague because I don't want to discourage anyone from applying. Since we're 0-for-3 with people we've interviewed and offered, assume this job is open until I post that not only have we offered a guy, and not only has he accepted, but he's actually in the office laying out pages and writing stories.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Another plus for this job: virginiagasprices.com has a Sheetz in Harrisonburg with 1.73 gas

10. aeroking

aeroking Member

I'll preface this by saying I know I'm going to get hammered.

But Duton, five years ago, I'd never even notice this. But please, please, re-read your post and realize that if there was a promising female candidate who read you're "he/him" comments, she will glean a whole lot about your section from those few words. No, I'm not spokesman/spokesperson ... freshman/first-year student ... crazy. But let's be open to the fact there's a female out there who could rock your section. And I'm sure you'd love to work alongside her.

And if you think I'm a nut, bring up chucking a style book in the trash and see what Barber has to say.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Aero, in Duton's defense, it may be hard luring a female sports writer into the heart of the confederacy unless she already is from there. No, Archie Bunkerland it ain't, but tolerance of a female sports scribe among some of the good ol' boys still is a toughie.

And for all the shit I've given Duton here, he's decent people. We haven't always seen eye to eye, but he does throw some good parties, where events include psycho-level beer bonging and the flour toss. He'll bust his ass, too, which means you won't have to pick up a slacker's work. That always makes your job easier, especially in a smaller shop.

12. 35in44

35in44 Member

Duton's good people, even if his cell phone rivaled Zack Morris' in size and ridiculousness. Word is, though, he has a new one. Minor miracles.

If you are looking for a job, consider this one. I've said it before as well, working for Simmons will make you better.

Draft saved Draft deleted