1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Copy Editor -- Harrisonburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Cristiano_Ronaldo, Jul 20, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good job, Duton, trying to out me on SportsJournalists.com. Please, take a bow.

2. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

The guys at the DNR are good people, even though in April Barber left me to babysit the drunkest girl in the world.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

He was the sports editor there 18 years ago, when I turned down a job there.

I've said this on every DNR thread, so why stop now. On top of being a good guy, Chris Simmons will make you better when you walk out than you were when you walked in.

How many SE's at 30k papers can you say that about?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, he didn't hire me (obviously, and I wasn't expecting him to). But as I was passing through town he did at least let me come in for an interview, which helped me see how the whole process worked. Helped me out later on when I did have a shot at a job somewhere else.

5. 35in44

35in44 Member

Simmons is good people, as is the rest of the staff. Plus, there is a history of people moving up from this paper, both recently and in the past (i.e. Skip Wood, now of USA Today, started there).

A good first job for anyone out there looking.

6. Applications are pouring in, but the DN-R is looking to move pretty quick on this since H.S. football season is just around the corner.

And yes, Skip Wood did get his start there. Michael Rothstein, who covers Notre Dame for Ft. Wayne, also worked there for several years, so the opportunity to move up is there.

7. Duton

Duton Member

OK, this is a shameless bump from the folks here at the DN-R. We've offered the job to three different people and gotten turned down because of specific situations that hindered all three applicants from making the jump. One just got a better offer, covering Alabama football in Decatur if I heard correctly, and the other two had some specific and understandable outside, personal circumstances.
    Regardless, we're still looking, so if there's anyone out there that thought about applying the first time and didn't, here's your chance.
    A few other things I wanted to point out. No. 1, I understand that everyone freaks out when they see the word "Pagination," but I promise you, it's the easiest pagination you could dream of. You have a template, you plug the stories and the pictures in, you tweak some things, you're done. I mean, you still have to proofread the hell out of them, but you're done with the layout. There's not much design to it at all. The page takes 1-2 hours per night, tops once you get the hang of it. Then, your job gets to be more about writing, and I promise you, you'll improve tremedously under Chris Simmons. I can't stress how good of an entry level job this is. PM me with any questions.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Another Moddy Seal of Approval. Lots of good papers on that I-81 corridor.

9. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

What would the pay range be on this job?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not enough to deal with some of the people on staff (OK, Dopirak specifically).

11. Duton

Duton Member

Alright Wicked, sorry about the hockey thing. I was just trying to bust balls on an old college co-worker and didn't realize the value of your anonymity. Hopefully you're doing well and you didn't take it personal.
    As for the money thing, I wouldn't mind throwing out the actual number, but apparently higher-ups generally don't take too kindly to that and I don't want to piss off the people that write my checks. I'll say this, I started out at the same pay level this job would get and as a single guy, I live comfortably, though it helps that I have a roommate. The cost of living here is ridiculously cheap. I'm not sure it needs to be stated considering that this job is entry level and Simmons rarely highers people older than 26 to start, but I probably wouldn't recommend this to people with families.

12. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

You'll get plenty of valuable experience at the DNR.
    You'll also have the chance to play on a semi-decent flag football team and clean house at Barber's weekly poker game, especially if a certain Penn State grad is playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted