1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Columbia Daily Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MO45, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

There are way too many things to fill out just to apply. This isn't McDonalds. I shouldn't have to fill in my high school.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You should just fill in the parts of the application you deem worthy of your time.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'll be honest and state whatwhat makes a good point. The application looks like one you'd fill out for a retail job.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've had to fill out something like this for four of the five journalism jobs I've had.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not to mention the piss test, giving up your facebook and twitter passwords and swearing allegiance that you won't look for another gig while working there. WTF!!!

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

They probably want me to move to that city and show up for work also.

Fuck that noise!

7. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

You're missing the point. If I'm going to apply for the job, I don't want to have to jump through 1,000 hoops to do it. All you care about are my clips and previous work experience/references anyway. So why don't we skip over all the other bullshit and make it simple, like every other newspaper application.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I've probably applied to over 300 jobs in the two years I've been looking for real work. I can't count the number of online applications I've had to register for and then fill out.

Yeah, I hate it, but that's the ferreting out process.

If you think "every other" application is simple -- in any industry -- boy, you have a tough row to hoe in front of you.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Make sure to spend at least 21 minutes on your clips.

10. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

Damn, I'm sorry man. Are you still out of work? Keep fighting the good fight, though. If journalism is what you love you have to stick with it.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I never said that, and you can save your pithy platitudes, thank you.

12. DancesWithDirt

DancesWithDirt New Member

There is nothing on this application that makes me stand out from the crowd. I assume this is going to a human resources person who knows nothing about hiring a sports reporter. Would it be considered poor form to enclose a resume and clips?

Draft saved Draft deleted