1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Centralia, Wash

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com
    Sports reporter — The Chronicle in Centralia, Wash., is looking for an enthusiastic, aggressive sports reporter. The Chronicle values loyalty, ability and a strong work ethic. We are searching for someone with a passion for prep sports. Because our coverage area includes Mount Rainier, Mount St. Helens and the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, we value experience covering the great outdoors, from rock climbing to steelhead fishing.

In this new media age, we place a premium on the new journalist — someone that has high-end design skills (we use InDesign), is capable of producing multimedia using Final Cut Pro and Soundslides, and is proficient with all aspects of digital photography. Writing, however, remains the most cherished talent.

The Chronicle is a 15,000-circulation daily newspaper located halfway between Portland and Seattle. The paper is a financially-healthy, family-owned operation with a commitment to journalism. Please send a cover letter, resume, work samples and references to Executive Editor Michael Wagar at mwagar@chronline.com.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Does this mean they filled the SE slot from the staff?

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Doubtful, since I know someone who just applied for the SE spot yesterday. He heard back from the EE, excited to get the application.

4. Hope I get that same response for this position.

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Found out this is indeed a reworking of the SE opening. They decided to give the writer the SE slot and are now looking to fill the writer position.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

well, that sucks giant donkey kong cock for those who applied.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if they tagged mark mansfield as SE ... he was/is much, much more than a writer there. mark is good people and was ready to become an SE years ago.

anyone know if mark got the job?

8. Wallace

Wallace Guest

The SE job went to Aaron VanTuyl, who had moved over from news to sports not too long ago. They are very short in sports now, as they have another news reporter (a former sports guy) helping out VanTuyl until they find a new sports reporter.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mark found another job?

and i've never heard of an Aaron VanTuyl.

10. Wallace

Wallace Guest

EDIT: I don't know Mark (or have heard of him), so I'm not sure. Although I did hear from a colleague that when VanTuyl was selected for the editors gig, a long-time sportswriter at the Chronicle resigned. Could have been Mark.

As for VanTuyl, here is a link to his blog on the Chronicle Web site, when he was an education reporter. It hasn't been updated for a while.

http://www.outdoorslc.com/vantuylsviews/

11. Tripod007

Tripod007 New Member

Why would the newspaper advertise for a sports editor position, which still has a deadline two weeks down the road, and then promote an in house reporter to the editor position?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i bet you can answer that question without any help.

Draft saved Draft deleted