1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter -- Cedar City, UT

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mannheimadler, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

The Spectrum & Daily News, the only daily newspapers in Southern Utah, have an opening for a full-time sports reporter in their Cedar City office. This position requires frequent night and weekend hours, and the person will cover intercollegiate, high school and recreational athletics. Our sports staff members also design and edit their pages. Applicants should be detail oriented and like working in a fast-paced environment. Send a resume, cover letter and five writing samples to Todd Seifert, Editor, The Spectrum & Daily News, 275 E. St. George Blvd., St. George, UT 84770.

This positon's main beat will probably either be the men's basketball team for Southern Utah University, a Division I college in The Summit League, or the SUU football team, which is FCS. We'll iron them out once we've spoken to the bureau's other reporter.

PM me for more details.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Scenic country, folks. Myself and Mrs. FreddiePatek worked for this company scads of years ago.

3. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

That it is indeed. You're within a couple hours of Las Vegas, Bryce Canyon, the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. Southern Utah is full of redrock country and is one of the fastet growing areas in the United States.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wonder if Beau Estes left or he is other guy in the Cedar City bureau? Cedar is small and probably would take some getting used to if you are not familiar with LDS culture. But the weather is great and 20 degrees cooler than St. George.

I know a ballpark of what it pays.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but when I covered sports out this way, The Spectrum wasn't traveling with SUU hoops. Don't know about football. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Go T-Birds, which play in the most geographically fucked hoops league

7. This would be a great job for someone looking to make the move from preps to college. The new bureau chief has a sports background, so you've got someone in your corner.
    The football team has been terrible lately, but it should be fun covering a new coach next season. The basketball program has been decent, we'll see what Roger Reid - the ex-BYU coach - does.
    It is a bit of a culture shock if you're not familiar with Utah, but you get over it. You just can't get a decent beer.
    Football travels to one or two games and basketball is a little more. I know last year they went to Tulsa for the Mid-Con basketball tournament and sent Estes to football's opener at Montana.
    Bottom line, it's a beautiful area with a fun little college. The people I met in the bureau were all solid. I don't think Estes is there anymore, but could be wrong.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Another perk:

Ample opportunities to string. Getting to Cedar is expensive for a lot of the conference opponents and it may be easier for those papers to hire a stringer to double dip and cover the game for both teams.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this was a thread about a job?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Locking out the assholes. Good work guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.