1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Cecil Whig, Elkton, Md.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jim Halpert, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

from journalismjobs.com

Company: The Cecil Whig
    Position:
    Seeking sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 16, 2008
    Job ID: 936114

Description:
    The Cecil Whig in Elkton, Md., seeks a talented sports reporter to complete a three-person staff. The job provides an opportunity to write features, columns and game stories. Working at the Whig provides its reporters with a variety of opportunities, including covering the McDonald’s LPGA Championship, two NASCAR weekends at Dover International Speedway, horse racing and select professional events in Aberdeen and Baltimore. We place a high value on writing about the people who make the games interesting, not just who did what and when. We also place a premium on our local sports coverage, which includes nationally ranked Cecil College and the University of Delaware. An ability to write an outdoors column is an added bonus. Applicants should have a strong work ethic, be enthusiastic about sports and prepared to work holidays and weekends. Knowledge of Quark, InDesign and Photoshop is a plus. The Whig offers competitive pay and excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement and paid vacation. To apply, please e-mail cover letter, resume and six clips to sports editor John Davis at jdavis@cecilwhig.com. No phone calls please.

2. slatter

slatter Member

30 min from Wilmington, DE
    1 hr from Philly
    1:10 from Baltimore
    1:50 from DC

The Whig's weekday circulation is 17,500

3. Elkton, AKA the last exit in Maryland on I-95 before the useless $4 toll that is the Delaware Turnpike. To whoever takes this job, do not ever go north on I-95 when you're in Maryland or south when you're in Delaware unless you want to lose a quick $4.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was just up at the UD graduation the other weekend. Newark, Del. is a decent little college town just across the state line from Elkton so I'd guess the nightlife isn't too bad compared to a lot of places.

5. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

I should add that I'll answer questions regarding this job/paper via PM if anyone has them.

6. JME

JME Member

From what I hear, in Elkton a 25 and under female without a kid or two is the rare exception. On the other hand, if John Davis is still there, that's a positive. Good guy.

7. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Seems that a UDel graduate would be a great fit for this gig, given the location.

8. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

anyone know who left, and where to?

9. Gil_Hicks

Gil_Hicks New Member

I'll back up the John Davis supporter. He's a good guy and talented. You'll learn from him. Also, the South Delaware beaches - particularly Dewey - can be a lot of fun in the summer.

10. ALMSguru

ALMSguru New Member

Does anyone know the pay? any relocating expenses? the cost of living in the area?

11. JME

JME Member

Cost of living, I'd think, is very low for the region. I'm guessing no on moving expenses though sometimes a paper will surprise with you with some token money.

12. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

He's there. Consider those sentiments echoed. (Regarding both John and the women).

Draft saved Draft deleted