1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Carrollton GA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Fnerry, Jan 15, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

True, everyone has to start somewhere but NO ONE has to be abused. There are far too many horror stories attributed to this place and other in the Paxton group. There is NO EXCUSE for that at any level.

2. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

I'm not sure why everyone is bashing this place. It's not like the MDJ.

As mentioned before this is a great place for someone just starting out. Yes, the pay will be very low. Probably in the low 20s, but Carrollton is a pretty cheap place to live. It's a college town, so there are plenty of cheap apartments.
    They have some pretty good teams to cover in the area. Carrollton (hometown of Eagles WR Reggie Brown) always seems to be good in everything, especially football and Bowdon is pretty good.
    As far as doing everyting, I don't think you have to take your own pictures, so that is a plus, but there are a lot of schools in the coverage area for just a two-person sports desk.
    Getting the opportunity to cover a college is also a plus, even if it's a D-II school. UWG is always good in men's basketball and are pretty good in other sports.

3. GameTime

GameTime New Member

Oh I agree, NO ONE should be abused. Its just that sometimes the label "abuse" is used subjectively to cover up for ones own inadequacies. Ya know....always blame the other guy. But in any legit cases,it's unacceptable. Clearly you are privy to some. My opinion is... if you go in eager to learn(not know it all already),dedicated to your profession, willing to take advice/criticism,conduct yourself in a professional way,learn from your mistakes &remember what area of the country and what level of sports you are reporting for you should do well anywhere. Yea sure you'll be busy as suggested by another poster with the TG having a 2 person sports department,but again everyone has to do time in the trenches.

Draft saved Draft deleted