1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Carlisle, PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JKelly12, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Company: The Sentinel
    Position: Sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: October 3, 2011
    Job ID: 1279933

Description:

The Sentinel of Carlisle, Pa., has an immediate opening for a sports reporter.

Our strength is in local sports. The successful applicant must have, at a minimum, a solid knowledge of football, basketball and other major team sports in addition to demonstrated ability to handle a beat. Our sports reporters also must be comfortable with multimedia, blogging, social media and the web as well as layout

The right candidate will be able to deliver story ideas, develop sources and work well on their own. InDesign and PhotoShop ability are a plus. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.

The Sentinel publishes seven days a week. Hours in the sports department generally start in late afternoon depending on page layout needs and event coverage, with some weekend work.

The Sentinel offers an excellent compensation and benefits package. We are part of Lee Enterprises, a premier publisher of local news, information and advertising in primarily midsize markets, with 52 daily newspapers and a joint interest in six others, rapidly growing online sites and more than 300 weekly newspapers and specialty publications in 23 states. For more information about Lee Enterprises, visit www.lee.net.

Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and clips. To apply, go to www.cumberlink.com/workhere.

The Sentinel is a drug free employer. The Sentinel (www.cumberlink.com) and Lee Enterprises, Inc. (www.lee.net) are Equal Opportunity Employers.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ambitious operation, covers about 15 high schools and several colleges, including in-town D-III Dickinson College. They have a fairly new sports editor who seems to be a pretty solid columnist.

I've always liked the town, the hometown of basketball's Jeff Lebo and Billy Owens.

I would add that there usually seems to be upward mobility for Sentinel staffers, too. We have four of them on our staff right now.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the section in forever ... but do consider that the ME was the sports editor for a long stretch (~10 years).

4. GarrettWampler

GarrettWampler New Member

Has anyone heard anything on this?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Which is not always a good thing.

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

If Pop Warner and Jim Thorpe were still around, this would be one of the best gigs in the land.

7. jr/shotglass

We used to go to Carlisle's Army War College often for groceries, medical, etc. when I was a kid. (My dad was retired USAF.) The Army War College is the former campus of the Carlisle Indian School. Their little "stadium" remained intact the last time I was through there, although they had upgraded the stands and all. Very cool.

But no, there are no Pop Warners or Jim Thorpes there today.

8. Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed New Member

Anyone know if they filled this?

9. jr/shotglass

I do not. I have seen no new bylines recently.

I do notice Andy Sandrik has been named assistant sports editor. I believe that's a fairly new occurence.

Draft saved Draft deleted