1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Bozeman (Mont.) Daily Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lord_Gordon, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The guy who won the trip to SLC and never used it was this guy ... oh well. How the heck was I supposed to get to SLC in the middle of November for a game when I had desk responsibilities?

Anyhoo ... this paper was in MAJOR need of an overhaul, and by all accounts, it got one when Jeff came to town. The writing was fine, but the design of the section left much to be desired. Things have gotten better, for sure.

Bozeman as a town is fun. It can either be temperate or really freaking cold in the winter. One time I covered a game there, and it was 60 in February. Another time in January, the temperature never got above zero during the day. There is fun nightlife, lots of good little bars and restaurants (and cheap Moose Drool at the Cats Paw), and the place seemed to be a trendy, fun town.

Isolation is a good word, though. You're far away from anything resembling a large city. Full-on jets fly into Bozeman airport though, so you don't have to drive to Denver or Salt Lake to catch a flight.

For those looking for an adventure, I'd say go for it. You'll work with good people and you can move up from there.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Now that I recognize yours and George's names, I may have been mistaken. It may be the Standard whose SE is unpleasant. Sorry for the confusion; no harm intended.

3. Jeff Welsch

Jeff Welsch New Member

None taken. Actually, you were probably thinking about Meseroll over in Missoula. Now THAT guy is a tyrant. ;)

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Never worked with him, though I know those who have, and the reviews weren't good. Glad to see Hink got a good gig elsewhere. If I were still in Mont. I'd apply for this job in a second; they put out a quality product.

5. Jeff Welsch

Jeff Welsch New Member

Doc, you obviously missed my ;) icon. Bob is a good guy and the Missoulian is still the standard for sports sections in Montana. I'd elevate his status to "great guy," but not until he stops resisting my overt attempts to share his favorite trout holes on the Clark Fork.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Mes does great work on Griz hoops ... I miss working with him on conference notebooks and such.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Since Jeff took over the Bozeman section has really taken off. It beat out the Missoulian for best sports section in Montana, and I've seen some really good stuff coming out of there.

I can't say enough good things about what Jeff has done to transform the section.

And Jeff, Bob'll never give up his fishing holes. Never I tell you :D

8. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Jeff Welsch is good people. If you're serious about writing, there may not be a better teacher. I think Jeff is being modest when talking about his section. They do a tremendous job, and it's very diverse. They do a great job of involving the entire community. And for my money, there's no better view than the mountains surrounding Bozeman.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'll second that.

I have an uncle up that way, and he always seems to end up hosting family reunions.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

are you high or have you just never been to kalispell?

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Can't it be both?

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Kalispell (well, Whitefish actually) is a lot prettier than Bozeman, but in Bozeman you get a college town atmosphere and a paper that wants to be really good. You can't say either about Kalispell.

Draft saved Draft deleted