1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter - Bozeman Daily Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GidalKaiser, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, good luck to whomever filled it. Hope they have some extra coin in their pockets. But Bozeman is an enjoyable city.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I bet they paid $25,000, which would make it at least bearable. Can't imagine they didn't. And Bozeman would be one hell of a great place to live.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

$25K to cover the daily sports scene is a joke. It's 2014.

Journalists are doing more than just writing/shooting/paginating. Now you add in the social media stuff.

$30K makes it bearable. That's $577 a week before tax.

4. Doc Holliday

I agree it's not the best in the world but Bozeman has a relatively low cost of living and $25k is doable in similar places. Not ideal, obviously, but doable. Personally, I wouldn't do it for anything less than $35k-$40k but I'm not a greenhorn either.

5. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

The cost of living is being raised year by year as the town incorporates more. Most places are being rented with the thought young families or a bunch of buddies will rent together, not single people. At least that's how it's been since I've been here. I also went from a two-bedroom small apartment to a multiple-roommate house situation.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect they know what they will get at the price and probably content with it: a series of younger guys/gals on 1 or 2-year commits.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Very valid point. I just accepted a new position, relocated and am seriously wondering if I can afford to live here. No, I'm certainly not the only one on staff and the salary --- when compared to other places --- seems reasonable.

It's just that I am wondering whether I can or should justify spending half my monthly salary or more on a basic one-bedroom apartment? I like the job and the town, but is it worth that?

8. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

There is another opening. I have accepted the position of sports editor of the Pierre (S.D.) Capital Journal. See top post for all information.

9. Doc Holliday

Draft saved Draft deleted