1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Boston, MA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

So basically I just should have lied and said I covered a game or two when I sent in my stuff?
    That experience stuff pisses me off. I haven't worked pros. Not my call. I've only worked in prep environments because that's what's been in the areas I've worked. I have no doubt I could work in a pro sport setting. I mean, it's not my No. 1 choice of what I want to do (goal is to be the lead HS writer at the state's big paper) but I'd be really fucking good at it because I'm pretty good at this journalism thing.

2. ETN814

ETN814 Member

The "information" being shared here about the experience requirement is simply not true.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

That's what I would've thought they were looking for. It looks like a great gig for someone to break in and get traction and make a niche. The previous post made it sound like they were looking for a "name" which really surprised me. Glad it sounds false for guys like Rhody's sake.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I mean, they still want "no less than 2 years relevant professional sports beat writing experience."

Maybe that's a real requirement, maybe not.

5. SportsWriter23

SportsWriter23 New Member

So, I ask again, has anyone got an email response yet, or an interview lined up? This posting has been up for 2 weeks. The correct email is ed.kubosiak@masslive.com, right?

6. rdmurray

rdmurray New Member

Accepting resumes through this week and starting the interview process next week. That's what I heard back from Ed.

7. SportsWriter23

OK thanks. I sent a follow-up email and didn't get a response, so I didn't know if maybe I sent my stuff to the wrong email address.

8. As someone said in this thread there's been over 100+ applications and a few have heard back. I don't they will be responding to every applicant. For the record, I haven't heard back either.

9. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Any of you get chosen for an interview?

10. SportsWriter23

I haven't even gotten a response. So no, no interview...How about you?

11. rdmurray

rdmurray New Member

I haven't heard anything and I got an email last week saying they wanted to start the interview process this week. Lots of applicants. I've applied and interviewed with them for something last spring. They take their time. I interviewed last May for a beat position that would have been based in Amherst but pulled my name out of the hat in the middle of August when no one had still been hired and needed to re-sign my lease in the city.

Just be patient and follow up.

12. rdmurray

rdmurray New Member

Actually just heard someone had an interview today. So looks like if you haven't heard anything you're probably not in the running... So guess I'm out.

Draft saved Draft deleted