1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Boston, MA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 17, 2014.

1. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

The editor told me that he is only interested in hiring someone who has covered professional sports in Boston for another publication. So either temper or grow your expectations accordingly.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fixed.

3. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

8) ;D :p

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

So, in other words, they're only interested in former Globe employees?

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There are other publications in Boston besides the Globe.

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

So, in other words, they're only interested in former Globe and Herald employees? (There, fixed)

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

They've hired a guy or two from MLB.com, plus there are other news outlets in Boston besides those two newspapers. I imagine they're going someone young here.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There's MLB.com, the official websites of the other pro teams, the freebie commuter rag, suburban papers, the local sports radio stations, the local TV stations and RSNs, etc. There are a lot of candidates who meet the criteria of having covered a Boston team previously.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Why would they move to Masslive from those places though?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For starters, many would rather work for Advance than GateHouse or CNHI.

11. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Don't forget the Patriot Ledger and their sports department of 4 guys (no joke).

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

When the other guy says they want to hire someone with with pro experience in Boston, I don't picture a suburban guy that does a couple games a year getting away from one of the chains mentioned above. I'm curious to see if the hire matches up to that lofty picture because I really don't see it. If they're going to pay to make it worthwhile for someone in that class to jump over that's awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted